Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the ones that have read this post already but i have changed the subject title so that it appeals to more members

Hi all,

Important info for all members with Chipped cars

There was a thread over the weekend that was having a discussion about what DV's you should get and alot of members, myself included said we had gone for a Forge 007, then one member i think b5point5 said that if you have a chipped car then the standard spring in the Forge unit is too weak as its only manufactured to OE boost standard and you need to upgrade to a stronger spring, otherwise you can lose boost through it leaking past the DV spring.

On the back of this comment i emailed Forge UK and asked about the spring in the 007 in regards to using it on a chipped passat, they confirmed what b5point5 had said and said that they suggest that with a chipped passat that the internal spring be upgraded to either a green (i assume they meant yellow, as green is the weakest followed by yellow followed by blue in the tuning kit you can get) or blue spring and also said if i emailed my address details back to them, they would send me a blue spring to try, so i sent my details and as with most companies you email these days i didn't expect anything in reply.

But hats off to them, today in the post arrived a blue spring and also a Forge metal keyring :thumbup:, just have to wait till i have time to fit it now.

So in one instance i am very happy with the customer service received from Forge UK, with them sending me a spring & keyring free of charge but on the otherhand i am a bit peeved that they dont display this info on the website with the DV's and give you an option of a stronger spring for chipped cars when you buy the DV.

So to conclude, if any of you B5er's has a Forge DV (or come to think about it, any non standard DV on a chipped car) on a chipped car then i would suggest that you just drop Forge USA (Uk for Uk members) (or the makers of your DV) a bell and ask them the same question and see what they say.

I am waiting delivery of my boost gauge, so i will see what readings i get before i change the spring and then after, just to see if it wasn't holding the boost.

Thanks

Peter

P.S. sorry if you all knew about this anyway.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D.Passat00 said:
well, i think forge is one of the few dv's that can be rebuilt, but i'm glad they're willing to give you a free spring!

would there be a problem with using a spring that's too strong?
Yes, apparently if the spring was too strong for the boost/vacuum being created by the turbo/engine you could suffer turbo lag and turbo stall as the boost pressure off throttle during gear change wouldn't be able to escape quick enough Via the DV and in serious cases could cause damage to the turbo's compressor wheels.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I got my Forge as soon as I got my Wett chip. I got the Forge Dv006. its bigger than the Forge 007 and it has the blue spring that comes with it.
I am thinking of rebuilding the DV but so far my boost is okay.

Forge is a good product. Ive had it for 40,000 chipped kms now and no problem at all.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
PSM20VT said:
D.Passat00 said:
well, i think forge is one of the few dv's that can be rebuilt, but i'm glad they're willing to give you a free spring!

Yes, apparently if the spring was too strong for the boost/vacuum being created by the turbo/engine you could suffer turbo lag and turbo stall as the boost pressure off throttle during gear change wouldn't be able to escape quick enough Via the DV and in serious cases could cause damage to the turbo's compressor wheels.
so, the middle (yellow) one is the one to use on a chipped B5?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
D.Passat00 said:
PSM20VT said:
D.Passat00 said:

so, the middle (yellow) one is the one to use on a chipped B5?
I assume the Blue spring is the one to use on a chipped B5 as that is what Forge have sent me, the strongest one is a Red spring which they only suggest for use for motorsport vehicles. In the tuning kit you get 4 springs and 3 shims, so that you can fine tune between the springs should you find one spring is too strong and the next too weak on its own.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pancreas said:
Forge in the UK may be good, but usually US companies have shitty customer service.
I thought you would have better customer service in the states, due to all your consumer laws.

Apart from Forge & Samco all the other companies i have contacted in the Uk as regards stuff for the B5 have never replied back, i have ended up contacting the US distributors for uk companies, who have nearly always replied back.

Its worth a shot for you to try them anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Indeed in my experience, companies in the US offer much better customer service...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
thanks for the info. is the blue spring available seperately, or do you have to buy the entire kit. if you could, could you get forge to offer blue springs to CB5 members, as a GB or something?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IDriveB5 said:
thanks for the info. is the blue spring available seperately, or do you have to buy the entire kit. if you could, could you get forge to offer blue springs to CB5 members, as a GB or something?
Try what i did and contact Forge on yourside of the pond, see what they say and if they bullshit you, just tell them the good customer service i got in the UK, i can email you a copy of the email i received from Forge Uk if you have any prob's.

Otherwise i would hope you could just get the blue spring on its own, if not the tuning kit is only £10 over here, so i would imagine it would be cheaper in the US.

And failing that then i could contact Forge Uk for a price on the springs but shipping would be around $3 each + cost of spring and my Paypal charges if i got them for you.

Keep me posted if you need any help.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As i said above i will post my results of before and after boost pressure, when my Boost gauge finally gets delivered.

You would have thought that Forge would put these details on their website alongside the DV's, surely they can't assume that they are all only fitted to standard cars.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
i emailed forge uk once about valve maintainence, but never got a reply, so i doubt i will have any luck here either.

would anyone be interested in setting up a GB with forge?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IDriveB5 said:
i emailed forge uk once about valve maintainence, but never got a reply, so i doubt i will have any luck here either.

would anyone be interested in setting up a GB with forge?
It really doesn't suprise me, the amount of emails i send out to companies compared with replies is shocking, but also our internet/email providers are also part of the problem, due to the amount of spam that gets sent out daily a big proportion is filtered out by them before it even gets to your inbox and should a reply from someone look like possible spam it either gets dumped or if your setup right on email it will get dumped into a spam folder for you to sort and check.

In theory i would imagine that Forge should supply you with an uprated spring for the DV, as they should provide this information on the website and allow you to upgrade to the appropriatte spring for the engines spec when you order it.

I have just looked at ForgeUS website and they show the tuning kit with 4 springs and 3 shims for $15.00 (the same kit in the UK would be equivilant to $21), so even if they were to charge you for a spring i cant imagine it would be more than $3, so doubt you would get a GB discount but out of an act of good faith and customer service they should send anyone that contacts them about it an upgraded spring and also change their details on the website, i would imagine the springs cost forge a few cents each.

If everyone that is concerned about it contacts Forge, then they can't ignore all of you, also if you brought them from a 3rd party distributor and not direct from forge get them involved.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
^ yea, i just figured a GB on the BLUE spring only would be useful, since i only need one spring, as do many others. i have no need for four different springs, one of which i already have, and it would be easy for me to just make the shims myself.

if you are able to contact them again, would you mind tossing the idea to them?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IDriveB5 said:
^ yea, i just figured a GB on the BLUE spring only would be useful, since i only need one spring, as do many others. i have no need for four different springs, one of which i already have, and it would be easy for me to just make the shims myself.

if you are able to contact them again, would you mind tossing the idea to them?
Yeh i can contact them again, but you need to try and contact Forge on yourside of the pond, just to see what they say, if they don't reply to your emails give them a call.

maybe you need to start a group buy feeler just to see how many are interested.

Also another b5 member said he was told to fit the DV in reverse so that the boost pressure down the vacuum line keeps the valve shut and so negates the need to change the spring, i will ask them about this when i email them on monday.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.