Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my 99 Variant has been making a rattling noise somewhere near the front when you are over rough ground.

I've changed the front dampers and the anti-roll bar bushes.
Whilst i was there I did the usual checks for play in the ball joints/torn boots etc.All looked and felt good

The noise is still there. I'm really reluctant to keep changing items until the noise stops ! The handling is fine ( especially since the new dampers ), this noise is starting to drive me nuts. Any ideas of where to lo0ok would be appreciated !

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
It's possibly the subframe bolt's. A handfull of us have had the same problem, and discovered loose subframe bolt's. Put it up on the rack, and go thru all of them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
IMHO it's difficult for the average Joe/Joann to "check" ball joints. Unless the ball joints are just about ready to fall out (or off), you normally can't shake them to see if they're bad.

It's a good bet it's the ball joints... :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the dampers were off I grabbed the 4 ( 2 per side) upeer contol arm ball joints ,to check for obvious play/slackness ( secretly I hoping to find some ! ) but they felt good .Before that I've had the wheels off the ground and grabbed the whell and given it a good tug ,looking/feeling for movement in the uuper and lower control arms.Again nothing.

What I want to avoid is doing all 8 arms , and finding there is something loose that just needed re-torquing, so I need to eliminate all the obvious ones first !
Thanks

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
As a little help, there are 4 bolts on the front subframe (rear protion) that have gone thru 3 revisions. They are bolt's "31" in the diagram.

Here's a pic of the different version's of the bolts.

Seeing as you have a 99, you most likely don't have the 'newest ones' (although the Bentley does not give rev dates).

I have the new ones on my 01, but they were still loose... so it's a good shot, and like you said obvious and cheaper than replacing control arms randomly.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
I'll jack her up tomorrow and run the torque wrench over these fastners.Looking at the rev "C" of these fastenners you have shown, VW have had aprblem with these coming loose.!

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
If it's a rattle,check the heat shields. If it a clunk,check the subframe and rack bolts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am expirencing something very similar. Mine is coming from ONLY the passenger side front. One big difference is that mine DOES NOT happen under braking, even just lightly touching the brake makes it go away. I think that maybe one of the clips holding a brake pad in might be broken. I am taking it into the shop next week, they will see if they can find anything.

Woody

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let us know how you/we get on with these.You see maybe I don't want it to be control arm ball joints. There are quite a few on this forum who have done all 8 and still have that noise !

Mine is definately a clunk/rattle and from my pass. side.Bare in mind this always gets the most hammering from pot holes etc. so could well be (hopefully) be loose fastners

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
The Great Roberto
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing