Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
covered?

I've got 2 ea. Passats, sedan and wagon. One has 53K miles and the other 61K miles. I am worried about the timing belt breaking and trashing the engine.

As the original owner, I am wondering if the 10yr/100K warranty covers the failure of the timing belt and associated damage if all service is performed and documented.

Anyone got experience with this?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yeah if you can prove that you've had the oil changed according to schedule and the timing belt has been inspected by a mechanic. Preferrably the dealership so they have no wiggle room. Otherwise VW of America will screw you over and say because you have no proof of oil changes the timing belt must have snapped.

I'd suggest changing the belt by 60K if you have the new style tensioner and 45K if you have the old style one.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
CRD99 said:
Otherwise VW of America will screw you over and say because you have no proof of oil changes the timing belt must have snapped.

I'd suggest changing the belt by 60K if you have the new style tensioner and 45K if you have the old style one.
"BTW, your right rear running light is out, so we will also void your warranty for that."

Have a garage day and do both belts at the same time.. More work, but much easier than warranty claims.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Changing the belts is more work than not changing them, but it is a heck of a lot less work than replacing the belt, the valves, and maybe the pistons or entire engine if the belt ever let loose. And a lot less time. And a lot less aggravation than dealing with a dealer over a warranty issue of such magnitude.

Not to mention, what if it happened when you were in the middle of nowhere. Or if your significant other were driving. Or if you were on a freeway in the middle of rush hour.

I vote for the piece of mind brought about by a fresh belt.

I speak from experience. In the 80's, I had a Fiat Spyder lose its timing belt. Ouch!

Actually, I got off fairly easy: the belt failed in my driveway while I was idling, I pulled and replaced the head myself, had no piston damage, there were only 8 valves in the engine (all were bent), and I found a racing shop I could trust to do the machine work and head assembly for about $220 (price of new valves included).

From that episode, I learned to never, never, never, never ignore timing belts.

On a 1.8t, I think the experience would be far more painful - those eight fancy sodium-filled exhaust valves are over $50 each (list closer to $75). Plus twelve intake valves ($22 - $30 each for OEM). Plus labor cost. Plus gaskets. Plus, plus, plus. Oh yes, and you >still< have to buy a timing belt. Maybe you could get it covered under warranty, but for myself I don't like betting that kind of money on long shots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.