Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just resently bought a 99 GLS, V6 and the Trip, and i just had a few questions about them.

My first one is, Whats Faster? V6 or 1.8T?? When i bought it i wasent sure if i wanted to try out the 1.8T after owning a 95 passat with the VR6(wrote her off) So did i do the right thing and get the V6??

Second, Dose any one know where to get the Adaptor for the factory 6-disk changer in the trunk to hook up to a Kenwood? I put a new Deck in after the 3rd day i had it. Gatta have the MP3.

And Lastly, Where is a good website to get parts?? All im finding is Lights and Brake kits. I dont want that... i want the bodie kits and the super chargers kits.

Well i hope to be getting to know alot about my car with this forum and mabye meeting some off the other Passat owners here in Winnipeg.

Thx

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have a v6 and at times wish it was the 1.8t due to all the mod's for them. The chipped 1.8t is about the same as the v6, but with all the mods for it, you can get bigger gains. You want some parts websites, then stick around here for a while. Group buys are the best for saving money, especially the one they have going for the votex body kits. If you plan to get a body kit, I'd jump on that deal. Whatever you do, look around, whether it's at other :b5:'s or parts dealers to see if you like other kits better. I'm looking into getting a grill next, but not sure what kind. Just to give you an example, I'm trying to find out what grills look good with specific color cars, and setups; i.e. kamei grill with mesh for lower grill inserts, or fk badgeless to match the stock lower grill. If you need part websites soon, send me a pm, and when I get home from work, I'll email you some I have added to my favorites. hope this helps, and welcome to Club :b5:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I think B5V6 just answered your questions pretty well so I'll just put in my 2 cents worth about the 1.8T vs. V6. I own the 1.8T and there are some great mods for my car and it's a fun drive, but the V6 is a strong car and should be just as enjoyable. Crosby, Stills and Nash said it best... "Love the one your with". Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yes, B5V6 said it well.

There were a few more changes, the 1.8T is the Passat's "base" engine. The V6 is (was until the W8 ) their premium engine. With the V6, you get more sound proofing and some minor tweeking to make the car a little quieter, etc. There is also wood trim and other weight adding options, like Climatronic (GLX), 4Motion, etc.

So, one drawback of the 1.8T is that with "4 cylinder buzz" and less sound proofing, it is not as quiet. Granted, the difference is a very small one, but I could tell it riding in both cars. I am not sure that most people would notice it.

One advantage is the weight difference of about 250-500 pounds. The 1.8T is a lighter engine and with less weight elsewhere, the cars do not feel as nose heavy and it feels a lot more spirited and fun to throw around in the corners. Since the 1.8T has less fat to lug around, that keeps the 1.8T pretty well with a V6 for performance, and kills the bigger engine when chipped, etc.

Although, I think a lot of V6 guys would like a $200-500 mod like a chip to get an extra 30-50 HP. That is a $2000 plus proposition in the V6 cars. $8K if you splurge on a W8.

HTH,
Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also just bought a 2000 V6 (manual) and being my first 6 banger after 13 years of driving VW fours, I was blown away. I've driven both my mothers Audi 1.8T A4's (Tip) and a friends 1.8T Passat (manual), and there is no comparison in my opinion between the two. First, the Quattro and Tiptronic rob the 1.8T and it feels slow and bad. I even complained to Audi how both A4's were buzzy and full of vibration at the pedal making it feel like the car was running rough - even worse than my 97 Jetta 2.0L. The Passat 1.8T though is much nicer and smoother though with a power feel close the V6, but has the twitchy on/off turbo kick. Then I drove the V6. It is such a smooth, elegant feel, yet I kept chirping the tires going into second until I "relearned" to back off the throttle being used to my Jetta. (The tires are near life's end and being replaced as part of the sale, so that may be why) The torque response is smoooooth, without the jerky turbo spoolup. I'm not trying to put down the 1.8T, its a great engine. But boy that V6 just adds a special refinement. Five or ten years ago I probably would have been on the 1.8T side when I was into mods.

Either engine and you would've been happy, but I think you'll be really happy with the V6.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
stevecaz said:
I also just bought a 2000 V6 (manual) and being my first 6 banger after 13 years of driving VW fours, I was blown away. I've driven both my mothers Audi 1.8T A4's (Tip) and a friends 1.8T Passat (manual), and there is no comparison in my opinion between the two. First, the Quattro and Tiptronic rob the 1.8T and it feels slow and bad. I even complained to Audi how both A4's were buzzy and full of vibration at the pedal making it feel like the car was running rough - even worse than my 97 Jetta 2.0L. The Passat 1.8T though is much nicer and smoother though with a power feel close the V6, but has the twitchy on/off turbo kick. Then I drove the V6. It is such a smooth, elegant feel, yet I kept chirping the tires going into second until I "relearned" to back off the throttle being used to my Jetta. (The tires are near life's end and being replaced as part of the sale, so that may be why) The torque response is smoooooth, without the jerky turbo spoolup. I'm not trying to put down the 1.8T, its a great engine. But boy that V6 just adds a special refinement. Five or ten years ago I probably would have been on the 1.8T side when I was into mods.

Either engine and you would've been happy, but I think you'll be really happy with the V6.
you can call it a mod, but I feel it's more of a missing link to chip the 1.8t. To get the 1.8T and have it chipped only saves you money giving you equal to greater power than the v6. I'll admit I don't want any 1.8T passing me, and I won't let them without a run for their money, but I'm jealous. So jealous, I got my wife a 1.8T A4 quattro avant. The chip is already on the way. :bow: 1.8T

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 1.8T Manual Wagon with a Stage 2 Wetthauer chip and the performance and nimbleness blows me away every time I drive it. I drove the V6 before I bought this one and was quite happy with the power as well, but having the chip surpasses the V6 in power and because of the weight difference I get better gas mileage than a V6 . I noticed no difference in noise level between the two except for a faint turbo noise here and there and the normal higher pitch sound of the 4 cylinder when the hood is up. But there is definitely no difference is sound deadening material, smoothness, or refinement (unless you count Climatronic and power seats), on that they are about the same. I guess if you want great power and don't want to have to chip it to get it, the V6 is most likely the best bet. But since I bought my Passat chipped already to Stage 2, the 1.8T has been way more than enough for me, even though it's a Wagon.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I haven't even chipped my 1.8T and I'm pretty happy with it at 134k miles. Is there any risk to chipping, btw? I still may consider it.

OP, imo V6 is superior for owners who will drive the car as long as possible - while you run lower MPGs, the 1.8T has sludge issues (at least, :b55: does).

·
Registered
910 Posts
A 1.8T makes sense these days as there a bit lighter on fuel. It would have been better if it came with a 6-speed gearbox. With my 1.8T 5-speed manual the engine speed is busy doing 3,000 rpm at 70mph. A taller gearbox, or better still a six speed could have cut that down to, say 2,600 rpm to make the 1.8T more refined at motorway speeds. It should also improve mpg a little.

I once had a 1990 Audi 80 1.8SE and it was much quieter because 5th gear was much 'taller', lowering the engine speed at 70mph to 2,600 rpm. It made the Audi an excellent cruiser, although it did rob a bit of performance because of the taller gearbox. I found 40 mpg (per UK gallon that is not US) easy to reach, even by driving at a constant 80 mph on motorways.

My wife's 1997 Audi A6 2.5 TDi has a 6-speed box which gives good cruising ability - 2,000 rpm at 70 mph. Because its a Diesel it can get over 60mpg on long runs if you stick at that speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts