Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
If I posted this in the wrong spot, let me know and I'll correct it.
So I have a broken spring on the wagon already. Guessing it's part of the cause of that annoying clunk too. Welcome back to the VW world, Derp!
2001 Passat wagon late build.
1.8 turbo
Manual transmission
Front wheel drive.
I live in RI, and work right across the line in Mass. But I'm willing to travel a few states away for the right set. Plus I just love driving this thing too! 馃榿
Looking to buy something asap!
I was looking at the cheapy cheapy quick struts out there. But. I have a feeling I'm gonna want to replace the control arms while I'm in there. And then I found myself searching for prices on that stuff too.
I was thinking instead of going the cheap route on the struts, I can probably get a cheap suspension kit from Amazon for now, and spend a little extra on better struts and springs.

Let me know! Thanks in advance.
馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Also, is the suspension the same on the earlier build 2001 with the older body wagons?
If so, then I might have a parts car that will work out great. *Hoping

Moderator/Administrator
Suspension is kind of the same, but the front shocks are undersized/valved for the newer B5.5 that you have. Backwards compatible, but not forward. Springs should be interchangeable.

Don't go too cheap on shocks. Bilstein touring class or Sachs (OEM supplier) is the lowest I'd go. FCPEuro in Groton, CT can hook you up. FCPeuro.com. Super fast economy shipping on the east coast. Ordered some stuff Monday and it's arriving today.

I would suggest that you also get new shock mount and bump stop rubbers.

Reactions: axenstar

Registered
Not sure where you are but how is $100 for the set plus whatever shipping would be, mounts I might have used as well, need to go through my stash...

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
As long as the springs aren't broken. They're better than what I have in there now. I live in RI. Zip is 02914. Too bad I'm not closer to you. The city you have listed is only 3 and a half hours away too. Hmmm....

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
How do you feel about random internet people taking a road trip down there and meeting up to pick them up?
Kinda debating that cause that broken spring is kinda worrying me.

Registered
I have done many trips like that myself, bought a lot of stuff from forum members and always enjoyed putting a face to the screen name... But would not drive far with a broken spring... I will go through that stuff tomorrow morning and figure out shipping. If you are in RI, shouldn't be too bad...

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet, thanks. Let me know. Just a bit over 200 miles down there, and I'll probably be driving that much waiting for shipping no matter where I got them from. I know they're kinda heavy, and I've never shipped struts and springs before. But I'm guessing they can be pricey. Just an option.
I'm always down for meeting new people too. Some of my best friends I met online but never in real life. Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts