Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife got a job thats got some good travelling distance. and we need to go to a 4cylinder, the 6 just isnt practical.. so how much would/could i get for a
99 passat v6 tiptronic glx
the light blue/green exterior on black leather
power everything
climate control
am/fm/tape (no monsoon)
56,000 miles
17" delux rims.. not the crappy stock ones
electric seats
seat heaters

im lookin to get like 13-14 for the car, but please tell me if im :crazy:
PS im in NJ if anyones interested

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You may want to consider the cost savings benifit versus the safety factor. What 4 cylinder car can you buy that is safe especially for driving long distances in inclement weather, etc.?

For example:
Passat V6: 100 miles R/T daily @ 24mpg @ $1.80/gallon = $7.50 daily
Any crappy 4 cylinder car: 100 miles @ 34mpg @ $1.80/gallon = $5.30 daily

Now is the $2.20 daily savings enough to justify the step down to a frugal car? How will the small car fare in a accident? New car payments? Higher insurance?

You are only saving about $528 / year in gas if you do a straight comparison. Will a Honda Civic DX compare to the driving feel, comfort and safety your 99 GLX has?

Tough huh. Good luck. I just want to point out what some people miss in making their decision.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
powerslide.. we were looking at a jetta TDI
and recht faren.. no way your v6 gets 32.. i find that extremely hard to believe.. whatd you do to it? we get about 26 tops

·
Registered
605 Posts
no way your v6 gets 32
I wish I could convince someone I know his v6 malibu doesnt get 40 mpg. He insists it does. I told him there is no way on earth he can get 40 mpg on a v6. It really bothers me because he is so insistive he gets 40 mpg. He must struggle in math.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah..that aint happening.. but anyways.. what do you guys think i can get private party sell for the car? any suggestions? i want to sell it relatively soon, but i dont want to give it away..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bump.. id like a few prices on what you think i could sell it for..

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It seems the guys are saying to keep it. Is this suitable for you? Or you honestly want a change in car? Does your wife have any say in this?

There was someone in the market .. and that 13G range got him a 2001 with similar mileage and options. I believe your price is too high. I got my 98 Variant for 6G; granted its an AEB, GLS, manual.. but still to compensate for the 7G difference?

Look in your market area.. how much have VWs been selling for? V6s? Any Passats recently sold?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
powerslide23 said:
What 4 cylinder car can you buy that is safe especially for driving long distances in inclement weather, etc.?
Answer: A 4 cylinder Passat! And, yes, it DOES get an AVERAGE of 32 miles per gallon on the highway @70MPH. I take a 400 mile trip every two weeks, so I know!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Check autotrader and do a search for your exact model and go from there, we say 99 glx's for around $8500 when we were looking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bought this car last august for 16grand with 49k.. and now youre telling me in feburary of the next year its worth half that??????????

that just might make me suicidal here :evil:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
www.edmunds.com

Plug in your car and it will give you the True market value. No matter how good your car looks you will most likely only get the average price. I would put it in the paper at the good price to allow some negotiating room. People always are happier if they think they talked you down.

I just ran edmunds on it and you won't be happy. Private party on it is $12,238 in good condition. The recent incentives have lowered car values as they are being purchase new for less. This drives down the used car market as new cars are more affordable and with the low interest a lot of people have been getting out of used and into new putting a lot of used on the market.

You can always try and over price it and see if someone bites.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
IMHO you should keep your current ride if you are happy with it. With the current used car market I can't see you getting over $12 - 13,000 for your ride, with a $3-4k depreciation you can afford alot gasoline and still be ahead of the game. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Right now, it is a buyer market and not a seller market due to the poor economic situation we are all going thru. In those thoughts, you could bring the price down of a car when you buy it but you will NOT get the money you want out of yours, it 's unfortunate but true. As of what Powerslide23 comment, you might want to reconsider the sell, since if you are going to save $500 dollars a year in fuel but lose $5000 or more dollars on your sale.......you do the math. The Jetta TDI is a great car, 50MPG, and i wish they had the Passat TDI like in europe :cry: . I would say your best move right now would be to keep your faithfull, save and beautifull :b5: :D . The final decision will still be yours. Good luck with
that....later....Rah........ :thumbup:

PS: mine is a 1.8T, 32hwy, 29 others

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Buddy, let's see some pics so we can further asses the true value of your :b5: . The exterior of a car is so very important in it's resale value.
For what it's worth, I don't pay any attention to what my car gets for milage, I'm too busy enjoying the RIDE! :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts