Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should i look for as in generic problems they would all have and such, i would like a mid 60's but i will settle for anything, also does anyone here own one, i would need a mentor on this project. :)

thanks in advance for any help guys :wink:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Scariest thing to me is the front axle/swingarm mounts rusting away.

Don't buy one without seeing it on a lift.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
69 or newer will get you the IRS rear, and improve handling big time. The newer ones don't look nearly as cool though. 66 or 67 will get you the ball joint front end which was a big improvement over the kingpin design.

71 and newer will get you the 1600DP (Dual Port) engine which has a whopping 60 hp! More importantly, if you get the 1600DP throw some cheap Weber 34 ICT's, upgrade the ignition and exhaust they actually drive out pretty damn good.

These are a piece of cake to work on too, even outside. I would go with a newer model jsut to take advantage of the improvements. The rust will be the killer in your part of the world. I would be very surprised if you find one that's not rusted out for a reaosnable amount of money.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i have a garage, a shitload of tools and my dad is a street rod builder and he built several Dune buggy's in the late 70's, i'm looking to maybe go down south to find one, and i'm not scared of a full on rebuild either 8) the whole point is to get a new project for me :roll:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I've got a '62 Bug Cabriolet, lowered Porsche cookie cutters, and right now have a mild 1776 motor. 100hp doesn't sound like much, but it is in such a light car.

If you would like a project, I would take the completely opposite viewpoint, and recommend the oldest one you can find in what you consider restorable condition.
Go pick up a copy and subscribe to Hot VWs magazine for tons of ideas and tons of vendors.
I did a body off restoration on mine, primarily because I had to replace the convertible's unique support rails under the frame.
Just about everything on an old Bug is upgradeable (for a price), disc brakes are a nice addition for example.

There's also a Bug forum on VW Vortex, and a few of the guys there are fairly knowledgeable.
For inspiration, this club rules, check out the member's cars: www.derkleinerpanzers.com or here www.cal-look.com
Check here for some nice videos (with nice audio) http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/download1.html
I guess your pops also wouldn't mind building a Bug that can embarass a 427 Chevy. :poke: :D

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a '62 Bug Cabriolet, lowered Porsche cookie cutters, and right now have a mild 1776 motor. 100hp doesn't sound like much, but it is in such a light car.

If you would like a project, I would take the completely opposite viewpoint, and recommend the oldest one you can find in what you consider restorable condition.
Go pick up a copy and subscribe to Hot VWs magazine for tons of ideas and tons of vendors.
I did a body off restoration on mine, primarily because I had to replace the convertible's unique support rails under the frame.
Just about everything on an old Bug is upgradeable (for a price), disc brakes are a nice addition for example.

There's also a Bug forum on VW Vortex, and a few of the guys there are fairly knowledgeable.
For inspiration, this club rules, check out the member's cars: www.derkleinerpanzers.com or here www.cal-look.com
Check here for some nice videos (with nice audio) http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/download1.html
I guess your pops also wouldn't mind building a Bug that can embarass a 427 Chevy.
i fully agree and i am subscribed to VW trends also, i've been wanting one for a while so the GTI is going and than the hunt is on for a beetle.i want to go ultra minimalist with an all motor bug :wink: should be fun, i think one of scats 2,3 would do just fine :thumbup: and yes my father is extremely open to a chevy V8 killer hehe :D instead of doing an old school rabbit or mk2 golf or whatever i might as well do something different in my part of the world.

BTW i like the beetle in the photo, if its your i'm jealous, sweet ride.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good luck on the beetle. I have a '77 super beetle convertible. I had someone do a fram off restoration a few years ago for me and I would agree that the the side rails (heater channels) when rusted can be a bit of a problem as it was hard to get the body well aligned when rebuilidng (closing top can be tough).

Parts and performance parts are widely available and not too expensive espesially if you don't mind using Brazilian and Mexican parts. If you go with the fuel injection you will have less performance options to my knowledge.

Either way chicks dig'em!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats one thing i like about it the pricing of the parts and the fact that i will have something that is affordable to work on too :bow: , i want to find one that is as rust free as possible, i don't care about the drivetrain as i will be changing it anyways.i'm looking at making this a two winter project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
2.0GTI
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing