Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the topic says.... I want to find a 1.8t, 98-99. I know the timing belt/tensioner should be changed , the coil-packs had issues, the tie-rods had some probs, and few other minor things.

Let me know what to look for...

Thanks

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
check:

-Valve cover gasket.
-The normal wear-and-tear stuff (brakes, tires, etc.)
-Wastegate rod
-Heated seats if the car has them
-Good idea to take the underbody engine cover off to see what it has leaked in the past since it stains pretty easily
-Coolant hoses (make sure all of them aren't bulged = needing replacement)
-Heated mirrors. Though im not sure you care about these in AZ.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the 98-99 1.8T had coilpack issues. It was with the newer model years. In 98 there was an issue with one of the oil feed lines going to the turbo, problems with it cokeing up so they put a insulating sleeve on it. Maybe look for that or ask if it's a 98 if it had the oil line replaced. If possible remove the belly pan and inspect for leaks. Mine always show up there first and they usually are pretty easy to trace back. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Voltron said:
Let me know what to look for...
How about a good psychiatrist??? :weirdo: :lol:

It looks like you already found the most important thing...Club :b5:!

·
Registered
104 Posts
You should also be aware that the 98-99s have a major problem with control arms failing at the ball joint. Two of them on my car went at about 80K miles. It's expensive to fix since there are 8 of them total, and doing it by the book means replacing all of them at once.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
look for a 2000

·
Registered
11 Posts
if it has over 50 thousand on it check if the timing belt was replaced. it is very expencive to replace you have to take the whole frount end off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
99blackmagic said:
look for a 2000
I just read that link from above, and I think you'r right... Most of the problems affected 98-99 1.8t.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd recommend getting a 2000 as well. You'll be happily in the middle of all those control arm and coil pack issues. You'll probably have an updated timing belt tensioner already as well (my 2000 did).

In fact, come on up to Denver and buy one cheap from a fellow clubb5 member: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73146&highlight=. It's already got some of the basic mods you'll want to do anyway.

·
Registered
370 Posts
just got my 99 1.8T 2 weeks ago and everything is so far so good (fingers crossed) :lol:

got mine from a dealer with the 2year \24K warranty..and the car only has 40K miles on it..so i feel pretty good.

i guess if anything goes in that critical 50K mileage range, its on the dealer to fix it up.

my B5 def feels solid and looks real good under the hood- im always sure to keep my eyes on hoses and listen for any odd noises. the 99 is a real good choice...just be careful- look out for the obvious stuff and you'll be good

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
99blackmagic said:
look for a 2000
'00s have DBW, which some people say have more lag.
This is true IMO as well. I have driven a particular 2001 A4 1.8T w/ DBW and it was really weird at times as far as the turbo operated in conjunction with the pedal. I think there are some things that still had to be worked out back in 2000 as far as DBW is concerned.

-Harry

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Voltron said:
99blackmagic said:
look for a 2000
I just read that link from above, and I think you'r right... Most of the problems affected 98-99 1.8t.
but, remember that the '00s were still fairly new at the time of that posting. i have a '00 also, and am pretty happy with it overall.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
a few simple things for saying look for a 2000-in addition to the repair/maintenance issues

-double DIN dash-makes it easy to add a boost guage and additional guages
-side impact safety curtains-peace of mind

1 - 18 of 18 Posts