Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 98' 1.8T AEB 53k miles
lately I'm burning oil like crazy. Every 700-1000 miles I have to add 1qt oil. I took the following pics and I need the advise of the C :b5: .
In my opinion I have gasket and piston ring-s.
Please let me know what you think before I take it to the dealer...

Thanks guys

Top of the engine

front right

above the intake

back of the engine

TB cover

top of TB cover right side

same side closer pic (bad focus)

Turbo side (left)

oil cap

exhaust

I think its the front of the gasket...in the area of the TB and because I see oil or somethink like that in the exhaust I think I have a bad piston ring or something....
I m not expert in these things,thats y I ask your opinions.
I use Mobil 1 5-30 Synthetic... New turbo at 48K miles

Thanks
Dimitris

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If you are the original owner it may behoove you not
take it to the dealership, since any drivetrain (engine)
problems are covered under the 100K/10 yr. warranty.
Second owners get 50K/5 yr., I think.

Anyway, it looks like a head gasket since it's also showing up
as wet on your exhaust. Possibly valve cover gasket too.
And maybe even crank seals, cam seals, etc. The solution
is simple although expensive. BTW, my exhaust is also black
with soot which is normal, But when it's wet that's not a
good sign. Can you smell burning oil?

Either way, I'd say take to a good shop. VW certified or not.
And get that checked out.

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
VW spec is 1qt per 1000 miles. They will replace the gaskets and then track the oil. If it falls within spec,
they will repair what is needed. It may be a fight,but keep after them until it is done.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would have them check out the PCV system, your leaks are everywhere...maybe you have higher than normal crankcase pressure, pushing it out everywhere.

I have seen pics like yours that resulted from the PCV being stuck, and the turbo pressurizing the crankcase, and pushin oil past the rings.

Does you oil smell like gas?

TJ

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
------TJ------ said:
I would have them check out the PCV system, your leaks are everywhere...maybe you have higher than normal crankcase pressure, pushing it out everywhere.

I have seen pics like yours that resulted from the PCV being stuck, and the turbo pressurizing the crankcase, and pushin oil past the rings.

Does you oil smell like gas?

TJ
Thats a goog point! :thumbup: Thanks
Oil does have a petrol smell...dont know if its gas or thats the smell of oil wch was in a hot engine...
I called my dealer I have appt July 1st next Thursday

·
Registered
442 Posts
TJ wrote:
It also looks like oil is being pressured up through your oil filler cap, unless you are spilling it when you add oil. If that's the case, perhaps some of the other oil on the driver-side is from spillage too.

You may also be overfilling, which in the extreme could cause the wetness in your tailpipe.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Meltemie said:
the exhaust is black like...oil sluge. I didnt check the exhaust when the car is running yet!
Burning motor oil has a very distinctive blue coloring. Black exhaust smoke is usually the result of a rich mixture. The moisture on the exhaust tips may be nothing depending on when the picture was taken but don't think that it means oil is coming out of the exhaust, it doesn't work that way. It looks like you're losing a lot from various gaskets at the engine or maybe you spill half a quart every time you fill up :poke: . How's your driveway look? Keep in mind that 3qts per 2k miles is only slightly worse than what most mfr's consider acceptable.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Macabre said:
Meltemie said:
the exhaust is black like...oil sluge. I didnt check the exhaust when the car is running yet!
Burning motor oil has a very distinctive blue coloring. Black exhaust smoke is usually the result of a rich mixture. The moisture on the exhaust tips may be nothing depending on when the picture was taken but don't think that it means oil is coming out of the exhaust, it doesn't work that way. It looks like you're losing a lot from various gaskets at the engine or maybe you spill half a quart every time you fill up :poke: . How's your driveway look? Keep in mind that 3qts per 2k miles is only slightly worse than what most mfr's consider acceptable.
Driveway and garage are clean,Im not spilling out oil..I have steady hand and always Bounty towels. :lol:
I always had oil cons. issues since day 1 like 1 qt every 2000-2500 miles but since last oil change its been bad...and yesterday i open the engine cover and I found the above. 2 Weeks ago I almost found it empty after 1000 miles (Iadd 2 qts) and yesterday 1 more....

WOW!!!!!! I just realize...u r on OVERDRIVE!!!!! you must have more posts tha anyone here!...No1 in Posts!

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
White smoke is generally coolant. Blueish-gray smoke is oil. The difference on a two-stroke is you burn oil as part of normal operation, so more fuel will burn more oil which will give oil-burning-like symptoms.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the car to the dealer today. They told me that because I had top oil they cant do oil cons test...I have to wait till it goes under min mark in dipstick.

What is the oil consumption test? How they doing it? Y they didnt drain some oil and then do the test?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Everything should be covered. In the service/warranty book it strictly says "any internally lubricated part is covered under 10yr/100k mile" warranty. The PCV valve is something to check, but how long have you let this leak go on like this? Its really odd that you would have oil seeping from the timing belt, head gasket, and valve cover seals. You even have the oil seeping out around the intake. Leaking injectors maybe?

I would get that stuff checked out soon, and it sounds like the dealer is dickin you around. No matter if the oil is low, or within the range, its not supposed to be leaking like that.

Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.