Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change my air filter. Should I go with K&N???

Honestly, how many people here has a K&N Filter and MAF sensor problems?

My filter is dued, and I really want to go with K&N filter. However, there are so many stories from the Jetta or A4 forums which says they have bad MAF after the filter replacement.

Am I being paranoid? Thanks for your input!!

2000 B5 20V

·
0 Posts
Nah don't change to K&N, who needs free hp's and a nicer sound, i mean is that all that matters in life? :wink:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had this problem, last year put K&N in my car, a few months later I had a bad MAF that had to be replaced. The tech at the dealership was cool, called me told me the problem, and that he's seen it before with K&N. I asked him to replace filter with stock VW filter, and put the K&N in my trunk. The MAF was replaced under warranty. I honestly didn't notice a boost in HP the whole time I had it. I've had the stock filter in now for 9 months and whaddaya know, no more MAF problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have an ITG air filter, and noticed no performance difference from OEM. And I am not convinced that anybody has provided objective evidence that any drop in air filter for the Passat increases HP. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have been tracking this air filter/HP issue for a while here and at vwvortex.
Kevin

·
Registered
802 Posts
the thing about K&N is over oiling it, which causes the MAF readings. so just make sure you tap it on newspapers or throw it in a pillow case and twirl it around a bit to get rid of the excess oil

·
Registered
168 Posts
great info thx for the k&n tip. i installed a k&n and i am sold. it really does improve the air flow. only thing is keep that slush screen clean hehe cause it gets very buggy and with many leaves in it :)

other than that i love the K&N...

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
ok, i was going to order the K&N air filter on Friday but this forum has me wonder if it should be done. I read a 50/50 opinion and that does not cut it :nervous: . How much is the MAF sensor if it needs to be replaced and how hard is the install?. Also, is it really just a matter of over oiling the filter that creates that problem?. This is a good question Keon, hope more people reply to this :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I think it is good whether or not you care about the small gains.

I had it on my previous car 1992 Acura Legend and I notice a significant improvement. The engine ran smoother and there was a little more go in the acceleration and in passing on the highway.
On my Passat, the gains were fairly minimal -- but I still like it because it has a good reputation, it is reusable (rinsing and a light spray of the K&N filter oil) for the life of the car, and that little gain in horsepower and airflow pretty much sold it for me.
Never had any problems with it -- it's a great product and you can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
On my previous VW's (B4 and B3 Passat's, Golf's, Rabbits), I have used K&N. Nothing broke, but nothing really gained either. However, I did notice that there were super fine dust in the intake tubes after the filter. This led me to conclude that K&N indeed does not filter as well as stock filter (thus higher flowing). I have since not use K&N anymore. No more fine dust in my intake tubes.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I've had a k/n since october, 6,000 miles on it and no problems, I bought it more for economical reasons because a replacement paper filter is about 25 dollars a whack.

·
Registered
364 Posts
pancreas said:
I've had a k/n since october, 6,000 miles on it and no problems, I bought it more for economical reasons because a replacement paper filter is about 25 dollars a whack.
I had a K&N filter in my car, when it got dirty and I had to clean it, I decided to buy an OE paper filter instead. I can buy four OE paper filters for the price of one K&N filter. So if you replace the filter once a year and keep the car for 5 years, you won't save any money by using a K&N filter!

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
At stock boost levels, the flow difference and power gains are minimal. At higher boost levels or bigger turbo, the flow differences will start showing up. No problems seem to be reported with ITG compared to K&N because you don't have to do the cleaning/re-oiling routine for many miles, manufacturer claims ever.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That Evoms website says that their intake kit is "the most effective power upgrade available for the money" at $279 for 12 hp. HA! What a joke. One word: Wett

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Companys want to promote their Intake systems with BS blowing smoke up peoples A$$! get 12 HP from a Intake filter :???: Lets see proven dyno results of that claim!
Their are other filters besides K&N out on the market. When you clean a K&N as others said dont use the spray oil but oil that can be sqeezed onto the filter. The pillow sack idea is good and the newspaper and leave it over night use the stock filter for a day or 2.
Green makes nice filters that most dont know about :wink:
www.greenfilterusa.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts