Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really messed up. So I just got off the phone with discover card. Apparently some one got ahold of my account info and changed all my information. The other day I get an email from discover thanking me for signing up and updating my info. Well, I don't remember doing anything to my account, so I call them up to see whats up. They look in my account and nothing fishy is going on. So I'm like ok and think nothing more of it. Well tonight, I try to log into my account to check my balaance and I can't get in. I call discover again to see what's up. This time, they ask me my log in id and email addy and nothing matches. Oh S*&t! So I confirm woth them that this account really does belong to me. They look into it and apparently some one logged in and changed all my info today. So they go in and correct all my info and patch me over to security. We go over the past couple days with the email I got and this log in stuff. They close my account for cc fraud and are sending me a new card now. They say they will send me all the info they find once their investigation is over. Apparently, my addy was changed to some where in NYC and my email addy was changed to something totally different.

All I have to say is I'm glad I check my acoounts often. This sucks, but luckily I caught it before who ever was able to do any damage to my account. I still have no idea how they got my info.

I just neede to share.... Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Do you use the same username and password for your CC login on other web sites? (like PassatWorld, other forums, etc)?

If you do, make sure the passwords are completely different. The passwords for these forums, like PW, are stored in MYSQL databases that anyone with access to the server (owner, people that work for the hosting provider, people that hack the server) can grab the username and passwords in clear text.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... the thing is I didn't lose my card. It's in my wallet. I also shred all my receipts at home.

Thanks for the tip. I have a couple of different users names I use. My passwords for forums and my cc are different. My cc passwords are more complicated with numbers and letters.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
theericharris said:
can grab the username and passwords in clear text.
most popular bulletin boards use a relatively weak MD5 hash to store the passwords. Still, I agree, you should use a different username/password combo for recreational sites and commercial sites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts