Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joined passat forum looking for help working the bugs out of it. I get a definite gas smell after starting it up. Decided to look under back seat to check for fuel pump leak. Noticed no leak, just gas odor. And there is a space in the black cover, that looks like something should go. Am I missing a fuel pump control module here? Or are the covers built to hold one, but not all cars have it? On mine, the wire harness passes thru the black round cover, and plugs directly into the fuel pump. Is that normal? And where could the fuel smell come from? I'd greatly appreciate any and all help or suggestions from experienced passat owners!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
smell could be coming from around the fuel pump housing (gasket) , however you should be throwing a code if system (system is a closed system, once fuel cap is tightened) showing up as a leak....... gas fumes in tank are "inserted" into the combustion system , the valve number escapes me but it is easy to get to and check. As to the module which controls the fuel pump delivery and pressure you should have one,? It feeds the hpfp which is cam driven......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I have several codes, all the misfires, (p0300, -01, -02 , -03, -04). Also: p1282, p0455, and p0507. They all seem idle, air/fuel mixture related. Where do I begin? First check that fuel pump gasket of course.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Joined passat forum looking for help working the bugs out of it. I get a definite gas smell after starting it up. Decided to look under back seat to check for fuel pump leak. Noticed no leak, just gas odor. And there is a space in the black cover, that looks like something should go. Am I missing a fuel pump control module here? Or are the covers built to hold one, but not all cars have it? On mine, the wire harness passes thru the black round cover, and plugs directly into the fuel pump. Is that normal? And where could the fuel smell come from? I'd greatly appreciate any and all help or suggestions from experienced passat owners!
There was a recall on the fuel pump control module for the 08 Passat 2.0t.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up:
I "fixed" the fuel smell issue, by replacing the pump to tank gasket. Also cleaned, re-gapped and re installed spark plugs, in an attempt to fix a multiple misfire issue. No success there. Then I changed engine oil and filter, because it was due. Then ran it a little. Ran ok. Then I cleared all old codes. Ran again, sputtered, died, will not start now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gas light came on. Engine light blinked. Many codes now. All the misfires, plus code p2293.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up a few gallons of gas , poured them in the tank, just in case. Now, while cranking, it reads a quarter tank. Still not starting. In tank fuel pump hums and stops, like it is supposed to. High pressure pump on engine? No idea. Fuel pressure sensor? Its like it sputtered itself to death. In my driveway, in park, not even driving. Pressing on the gas to try and keep it running had no effect. Help! Please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, jimmy dean.
I, however, definitely do not have a fuel pump controller on top of the in tank pump, under the back seat. The wire harness from the car does not provide for one.
Anybody have any experience as far as what my next step should be? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up:
Bought and installed new high pressure fuel pump. Got a Bosch from Rockauto. Had to buy $30 adapter from dealer!
Car did not start!
Re-checking codes, fuses, wiring, anything visible. Thinking I may be overthinking this? In anyones experience here, is it ever something like timing? Guides worn, belt stripped a tooth?
Any advice? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I got the car running. It runs rough, real rough. Ordered new spark plugs and new coils.
So far, I installed new high pressure fuel pump, that didn't do it.
Next, new "thrust sensor", the high pressure fuel sensor, that didn't help.
Next, new in tank fuel pump. The old one was humming and pumping, but apparently not enough. This did it. Now it runs.
I was getting all the fuel related codes. Now I "only" get all the misfire codes. Nothing else.
That's why I am doing coils and plugs next.
One thing I noticed when I had the back seat out, was the area under the driver side was really hot, after running the car a few minutes.
Catalytic converter?
But, is it clogged and causing the misfire / stumbling?
Or, is the misfire / unburnt fuel affecting / clogging the catalytic converter?
Which is causing which?
I guess I'll find out after the new coils come in.
Wish me luck. I'll update again soon.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
making progress, excellent ! You have to be careful "gaping" plugs as you end up taking off the iridium or platinum plating when trying to adjust....as to coils ,like the 1.8s B5 platform they are notorious for failure, you do not want to twist and wriggle to remove (pry straight up) if they are originals as something internal gets funky and one by one like dominoes fail over months.... I have had great success with the NGK PRF6Q plugs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts