Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could've sworn I saw references a while back to an option via Vag Com to have the instrument cluster needles (speedometer, tach, fuel and coolant temp) stay lit even when all other lights are off. Does anyone know about this? I can't find anything via search.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yeah it can be done, but not via VCDS, you have to re-write the Eprom of the cluster, and if you screw this up, you will have to buy another cluster, ....

go over to tdiclub.com and do a search for it, it is listed there how to do it

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
^ agree with both of these responses.

This is not a Vag-Com/ VCDS selectable option on the B5/ 5.5 passat. IIRC, only the full FIS display clusters are capable of being programmed to light the needles separately, but it requires software and a cable that can read the Eprom of the cluster, and then write back the modified code. AFAIK, only the W8 came fitted with the proper cluster to do this.

One big issue is that the cheap, knockoff version (what you will find on ebay) of the software called "Vag-Tacho" is notorious for reading and writing bad code to and from the cluster, leaving a large potential to brick it. There are methods to recover the cluster, but it requires the proper tools and knowhow.

There's a chance that the half-height MFA clusters might also be able to be modified, but I only found info on making the change to the Full Height FIS clusters when I did massive amounts of research on this 2 years ago. There is a good writeup on TDIclub that's worth looking into.

I wound up installing a W8 cluster into my B5, and then upgrading my window motors and CCM to "1C0" versions, so that the cluster would recognize when the doors, etc. are open, since the older "1J0" stuff uses a slower CAN-BUS that the W8 cluster doesn't listen for.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
on the B7 A4 it was just a menu in the cluster section using a VAGCOM, hey sound dude any idea if my skoda cluster has some of this shizzle you talk about?

·
Old Man Tan
3,685 Posts
on the B7 A4 it was just a menu in the cluster section using a VAGCOM, hey sound dude any idea if my skoda cluster has some of this shizzle you talk about?
it should, it's full fis. for some reason, i could swear i changed this option on my full fis with vagcom, i'll have to check one of these days.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, sounds like it is possible, just like opening/closing the windows with the remote, but takes a lot of work. Guess I will live without it. Is Vag Tacho a VAG program or an aftermarket software program?

This is not a Vag-Com/ VCDS selectable option on the B5/ 5.5 passat. IIRC, only the full FIS display clusters are capable of being programmed to light the needles separately, but it requires software and a cable that can read the Eprom of the cluster, and then write back the modified code. AFAIK, only the W8 came fitted with the proper cluster to do this.

One big issue is that the cheap, knockoff version (what you will find on ebay) of the software called "Vag-Tacho" is notorious for reading and writing bad code to and from the cluster, leaving a large potential to brick it. There are methods to recover the cluster, but it requires the proper tools and knowhow.

There's a chance that the half-height MFA clusters might also be able to be modified, but I only found info on making the change to the Full Height FIS clusters when I did massive amounts of research on this 2 years ago. There is a good writeup on TDIclub that's worth looking into.

I wound up installing a W8 cluster into my B5, and then upgrading my window motors and CCM to "1C0" versions, so that the cluster would recognize when the doors, etc. are open, since the older "1J0" stuff uses a slower CAN-BUS that the W8 cluster doesn't listen for.
Great information, thanks! Didn't know it was limited to W8 and/or Euro clusters.

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,779 Posts

Bob is right on the money. $$$

And, Bob, it's so awesome that you went through with the conversion! I'd love to hear about the details, like any harness and/or programming changes you needed to do. I know this likely wasn't easy.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
@vwb5t: Yes, you should be able to make changes to the backlight behavior for the needles, scales, and screens, you just need the proper program & cable to pull a dump of the Eprom, make the necessary changes to the code, and then write the modified code back to the cluster. There's also some changes that can be made to make the temp gauge more accurate as well as the fuel consumption estimates. The same setup should also allow you to change the mileage to be correct for the car, and properly program the Immobilizer.

@bill1975: It's an aftermarket program. There's a better program than Vag-Tacho (which I can't remember the name of right now), but it runs something like $499 Euros!

@Dave: The only major changes were moving some of the pins on the CCM, and adding CAN-BUS and 1 other wire to the cluster's connector. The last thing that I haven't fully resolved just yet is the behavior of the trunk lock- it unlocks with the car, but doesn't lock. I'm looking into fitting B5.5 parts to resolve it, but I'm still looking for another way, since I don't like the self re-locking behavior of the B5.5. I've found that the CCM is capable of locking the trunk, but it's not enabled in the programming, and I've not found any reference to where in the coding the changes would need to be made to enable the locking. Once I get it sorted, I'll be doing a writeup!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts