Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any success with aftermarket coil packs? If so which ones. My previous car (Nissan Maxima) would throw a code if coils were not OEM. My 2004 1.8t has a bad coil (have switched it to all cylinder positions and the code follows) and wondering if I can replace with aftermarket (only plan on keeping the car until spring) or if I'm better off getting a used OEM coil. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
23,555 Posts
Aftermarket is fine. I am running delphi ones in my 2.0T A4.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Has anyone had any success with aftermarket coil packs? If so which ones. My previous car (Nissan Maxima) would throw a code if coils were not OEM. My 2004 1.8t has a bad coil (have switched it to all cylinder positions and the code follows) and wondering if I can replace with aftermarket (only plan on keeping the car until spring) or if I'm better off getting a used OEM coil. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I run the NGK on my 02 2.8L 4Mo Wagon.
71 for NGKs' vs 309 for VW's

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,327 Posts
Has anyone had any success with aftermarket coil packs?
Last year #2 coil dies on my 2002 Passat but I decided to replace all 4 of them. I got 4 new coils for $36 on eBay and so far they have been great. Normally, you should avoid Chinese parts especially the critical ones like coils. But in this case, since VW has the largest market in China, they make relatively good components. Not every thing but in this case their coils seem to be OK.

Here's the link:

UF411 New Pack of 4 Ignition Coil for AUDI TT A4 Quattro VW 2001-2006 | eBay

·
Forum Sponsor
29 Posts
Hey Rkkfromnj,

Sorry to hear of the issues!

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, be sure to check out our Ignition Coil Kits at FCP Euro.

No only do we offer reliable high quality OE / OEM products but everything we sell comes backed with a Lifetime Replacement Guarantee!

This covers everything including normal wear and tear items like spark plugs so whenever you're ready for another set down the road, it's covered!

We're also running a promotion right now of $20 Off orders over $250+

Hope that helps and good luck!

Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last year #2 coil dies on my 2002 Passat but I decided to replace all 4 of them. I got 4 new coils for $36 on eBay and so far they have been great. Normally, you should avoid Chinese parts especially the critical ones like coils. But in this case, since VW has the largest market in China, they make relatively good components. Not every thing but in this case their coils seem to be OK.

Here's the link:

UF411 New Pack of 4 Ignition Coil for AUDI TT A4 Quattro VW 2001-2006 | eBay
Thanks Emry I may give these a try!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Rkkfromnj,

Sorry to hear of the issues!

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, be sure to check out our Ignition Coil Kits at FCP Euro.

View attachment 98300

No only do we offer reliable high quality OE / OEM products but everything we sell comes backed with a Lifetime Replacement Guarantee!

This covers everything including normal wear and tear items like spark plugs so whenever you're ready for another set down the road, it's covered!

We're also running a promotion right now of $20 Off orders over $250+

Hope that helps and good luck!

Jason
Thanks FCP Euro this does look like a good deal especially with the NGKs!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!
Do not do it!!! You may save a few dollars, but you will notice the immense power loss immediatly!!! Don´t!

·
Administrator
23,555 Posts
Do not do it!!! You may save a few dollars, but you will notice the immense power loss immediatly!!! Don´t!
It may be possible with a really bad brand of coil, but simply not true as a blanket statement. Settle down.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
On the 2001 AUG 1.8T, I went through one sudden coil failure and two recalls, but have no problem with the latest revision. Since I ended up with four spares, I gave two to my son (2002 A4 Quattro, AMB 1.8T) and put the other two in the back of the Passat with a cheapo engine scanner for emergencies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts