Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this article on Consumer Reports:

Problem: Potentially defective ignition coil could lead to a partial loss of engine power and, possibly, accident.

Models: 530,000 ‘01 to ‘03 model year vehicles including Audi TT and A4, Volkswagen Golf/GTI, Jetta, New Beetle, and Passat, all with 1.8-liter engines. Recall also extends to Volkswagen Passat with W8 (8-cylinder) engine, all Volkswagens with 2.8-liter VR6 engine, and all cars with Audi 3.0-liter V6. Majority of affected vehicles are 2001 and 2002 models. Only about 36,000 ’03 vehicles are involved. Ignition coils provide electricity to the spark plugs in the engine. Through dealer service reports, automaker noticed that coils in suspect vehicles were failing at a higher-than-normal rate. If coil fails, "check engine" light will blink and the car’s performance may become rough, possibly to the point that it loses some power. Note: V6 2.8-liter Passat is not subject to recall.

What to do: Letters went out to consumers at end of January notifying them of problem. Car owners should make an appointment with dealer to have all four ignition coils replaced. To minimize inconvenience, Volkswagen and Audi dealers will offer alternative transportation at no cost while repairs are made, company says. For more information, call VW at 800-822-8987 or Audi at 800-822-2834.

Has anyone gotten a letter yet? I just bought my W8 less than a month ago, I hope I didn't get missed.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I got the last year sometime, but it was a while ago and got the packs replaced. And then I got the letter again in december.... they should try to keep track of who's gotten it taken care of and who hasn't......... but maybe there are just too many

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, are there VINs under recall? Apparently problem exists on some W8s, wonder where 36,000 2003's comes from and whether it includes W8s.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
yep. i got my 4 coil packs replaced last july, even so 1 was defective! :lol: . My dealership (Auburn VW and subaru WA) took care of everything, it was great. The car came out of the shop running stronger and had more power then the day i rolled it off the lot new :bow: . the pre problem were slight loss of power with mine. But a friend of mine had the car dying on him when he was at idle, it was bad. But anyways, great now :D . I got another recall 2 weeks later on the rear liner of the quater panel on the passenger side (where the tank is) to be replaced by a stronger one. (if you need more info on that one, PM me)......RAH :b5: :thumbup: .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts