Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.hid-sin.com/

I just got the McCulloch 5300k set for my projectors, HUGE difference when compared side to side. I dont have a working digital camera but will hopefully get one and get some pics up here.

I shopped around and this was the best place i saw them for @ $275 + free fed-ex shipping.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
good link. i have the 5300 mccullochs since 2004 and it's been great so far. not blue at all. just a nice comfortable white. still thinking if i should get 3000k fogs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alright, I have been looking at this for a little while...whats the advantage of a McCulloch kit over someting like a solid German OEM HELLA ballast set? I've seen them on ebay?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tree, very simple install, just match the pulgs, hide the wires, secure the ballasts+ignitors, and mount the bulbs (my h7's went right into place, no modding or anything needed) 30 min job (i have big hands so i needed to take it slow)

·
Registered
440 Posts
vincheung said:
Tree, very simple install, just match the pulgs, hide the wires, secure the ballasts+ignitors, and mount the bulbs (my h7's went right into place, no modding or anything needed) 30 min job (i have big hands so i needed to take it slow)
So the lamp doesn't require some rigging to get it to lock in place? It has the same turn and lock feature as the normal H7 lamps?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no rigging needed, i dont know what you mean about the turn and lock because mine just go right in and you lock it in with the clips.

·
Registered
524 Posts
vincheung said:
If I'm correct you didn't have to modify the headlamp(lightbulb) clips or anything. The bulbs are secure...I'm sure you had to cut the dust cap cover. My main concern is not having to modify the new HID H7 bulb and clip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I dont' get it, why is everyone goo goo over cheap Asian HID knock offs for our German cars? Am I crazy for wanting to go Phillips/Hella German OEM?

From what I understand the plug and play is only for convience and the Asian Kit mfg's selling abiltiy. It's not really the correct way to wire HID's. These plug and play kits use the switched ground that comes to your headlights via the headlight plug. A switched ground is fine for halogens but NOT good for HID's. The HID ballasts should be directly grounded to the chasis or battery. When HID's power up they can draw a lot of current. Once on and working they draw less than Halogens. That switched ground was not designed for HID use. It'll work short term, but long term your going to get flickering, ballasts becoming defective, and other grounding issues. Not to mention less light than a direct ground will provide.

Sure it's easy to buy, but that doesn't make it a good buy.......

·
Registered
440 Posts
TradeWind3BG said:
I dont' get it, why is everyone goo goo over cheap Asian HID knock offs for our German cars? Am I crazy for wanting to go Phillips/Hella German OEM?

From what I understand the plug and play is only for convience and the Asian Kit mfg's selling abiltiy. It's not really the correct way to wire HID's. These plug and play kits use the switched ground that comes to your headlights via the headlight plug. A switched ground is fine for halogens but NOT good for HID's. The HID ballasts should be directly grounded to the chasis or battery. When HID's power up they can draw a lot of current. Once on and working they draw less than Halogens. That switched ground was not designed for HID use. It'll work short term, but long term your going to get flickering, ballasts becoming defective, and other grounding issues. Not to mention less light than a direct ground will provide.

Sure it's easy to buy, but that doesn't make it a good buy.......
Then get the cheap German knock off, Philips makes a conversion kit also.

·
Registered
524 Posts
TradeWind3BG said:
Alright, I have been looking at this for a little while...whats the advantage of a McCulloch kit over someting like a solid German OEM HELLA ballast set? I've seen them on ebay?

EBAY! or a reliable source with a warranty www.hid-sin.com. I'm considering McCulloch as well. When are you purchasing you HID's from Ebay?

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
you know, a few years ago i nearly bought both h7 and h3 phillip conversion kits for about 800 each from a legit website. at that time that was a good deal for philips which was "authentic" hids. alas, that deal fell through and i bought my mcclouchs and stand them side by side to my bro in law's philips and love mine. besides, my wires were so much longer and easy to manage compared to his extremely short wires. truth be told, if i am driving by you wouldnt even be able to tell the difference between asian hids or german oem.

if you can, good for you. i personally dont have time to stand by the street and say, ha! that's a cheap asian hid knock off! oooo! that's an oem german hid!

but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
good point ^^ the quality of McCulloch is definatley good...nice long wires to provide plenty of mounting options for the ballasts and ignitors

1 - 20 of 27 Posts