Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got APR "ChiPPed...DiPPed...and WhiPPed" today with the DirectPort Programming demo software from my local APR distributor...www.futrellautowerks.com

I must have been living under a rock :crazy:...and for those of you that don't know...APR offers DirectPort Programming that "chips" your car without chipping!

Click here to learn more about it...http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/directport.html

And the even cooler part is...you can try it out before you buy it!!!

Demonstration Software with Remote Activation

No hardware means software-only trials are now available. EMCS software can now be loaded onto your car and demonstrated for a set time period. If you decide to purchase the software, either before or after the end of the trail, the software can be “remotely” activated. By simply contacting an APR distributor and paying for the programs, you will then receive a secret code six digit code to permanently unlock the ECU through the cruise control switch.

DirectPort Programming is now available for a limited number of ECU's. To see if your car is ready to be DirectPort Programmed, contact your nearest APR distributor.
The programming I got lasts 6 hours (driving time) and let me tell you what...the first two hours were INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks Dean! :bow::bow::bow:

I can't wait for the next four hours tomorrow...and after that...I am going to be scrambling for my wallet to obtain the unlock code to unleash the beast hidden under my hood!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Is there a huge difference? :???: Let me put it this way... I was working on my car this weekend (fixing the warped passenger side airbag problem) so I disconnected the battery... When all power is lost, my car automatically goes back to stock program until I enter a code and turn on the APR mode. After finishing my project (which came out nicely :thumbup: ) I reconnected the battery and went to drive. :)

I drove for about 45 seconds thinking to myself, "something seems very very wrong with the car :mad: ...slow to respond, slow revs, NO boost, just something very wrong. :suspicio: I pulled over and at that moment my dad pulled up next to me and asked if my car was okay, I told him it felt funny...but it was okay. :nervous: He drove off and then I remembered the APR had to be reactivated. :thumbup:

I turned the car off :sleep: , entered my locking code overide :beer: , reset the throttle :drink: , cleared all codes :? , and then turned the APR on 8) ... Started the car :D , pulled to a stop sign, then FLOOORED IT! :bow: SO MUCH BETTER! SO SO MUCH BETTER :lol:

With that said, and to answer your question... Yes, yes it is a HUGE difference! :wink: BUT, does this chip make these cars super sports cars ready to beat an S4? NO, no they won't. They are nice, but not the best of the best. :roll: However, compared to 3/4 of the cars out there the passat is good, chipped its great....but again there are better. I say if you plan to keep the car for more then 2 years, and enjoy driving, for gods sake get it chipped! :b5:

If you are planning to upgrade in a year or two, check out a Saab.. My parents are Saab fans... They bought a 9000 CD Turbo in 1991... 13 years later I am still washing that car on the weekends for them. It has 196,000 miles on it and it still holds a boost 5x stronger then my car ever will. The thing is built like a tank and can still hit 100 mph in no time. They bought the 9-5 Aero in 2001...that car isn't quite the tank of the 9000, but its fast and drives soo well. Its a bit to quirky for my likings..but my next car will most likely be a 9-3. If you ever read my postings I have had just too many issues with VW as a company that I would most likely never buy one of their products again.

Icons used (over-board maybe?): 18

·
Registered
179 Posts
Too bad you can't do it to the older models (mine's 2K) I called H2Sport and they said That I have to install a chip.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Inkblue - nice use of icons :) :thumbup: :poke: :bow: :crazy: :shock: :lol: 8)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...I can't really say what happened here...looks like I have been sabotaged by the emoticon warrior! :lol:

Anyway...impressions...updates...Oh yah...

I must say that I am quite impressed with the difference between stock and APR'd...

Is it a HUGE difference?
I would say that it is a very noticable and substantial improvement over stock. All others that have ridden / driven notice a big difference!

Especially looking for that passing torque and low end off-the-line torque...
The most noticeable performance gains are 2500 RPM and above. Off the line, the car is not really any different. But when the boost kicks in...you definately can feel it...and hear it! I would say that if you are trying to race off the line...you will lag. If you are side by side at 25 MPH to 30 MPH spool up and drop a gear...you will sling-shot!!!

I think where the real difference is most noticable is on the freeway, passing, on ramps, etc... My commute is 30 miles in each direction...so I spend quite a bit of time on the freeway...so it's nice to have to power to position yourself...and have the occasional spirited competition with a passing Lexus, BMW or Benzo!

The only real negative issue that I have experienced is the Tip tranny...the shifts seem somewhat eratic...more slippage and indecision as to which gear to use! I am told all of which can be improved with a Tip chip...I know..I know...damn old man auto slush box! :p

As of today...my demo program is still active! I am hoping that it will accidently never expire... I am most likely going to wait until the next APR sale before I purchase...in order to get 2 for 1 programming. Also, the unexpected front tire replacements from inside wear and failure, alignment and who else knows what else (tie rods...control arms...) put a damper on my funds...:thumbdow:

Overall...I am blown away at the difference that a computer adjustment can make to these cars...technology is truly amazing!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Go APR! :bow:

My APR chip is the old fashioned kind: on all the time, just the way I likes it! 8)
Got it at Waterfest '01! :D
(I should have done it earlier than that!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts