Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how far from the city would I have to live to buy a nice (preferably older) 2 bedroom home with a two car garage for <= $300,000, and where would it be?

Luke.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You'd never find a place like that in the District, unless you want to bet on neighborhood rejuvenation.

Virginia-wise: Unless you got lucky, you'd end up with a commute of at least 45 minutes what with the traffic in the area. You'd end up either out around Reston, which is to the west, or around Woodbridge, which is south. Coming in from the west means taking the Dulles Toll Road, and coming in from the south means taking I-95/I-395 (same roadway as far as you'd be concerned).

You could also end up in Maryland, but that would mean taking one of the usually congested bridges across the Potomac: Chain Bridge, Key Bridge, Roosevelt Bridge, 14th Street Bridge, or the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, which is a drawbridge on the Beltway. You'd possibly end up living out in the direction of Annapolis, which is to the east, or in northern Montgomery County--meaning, Rockville and northward.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are those bad things...? I'd rather have a commute than a 1 bedroom condo with ... heaven forbid.. no garage! And of those areas, what are the nicest/hippest?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
300k? :eek: Remind me not to move anywhere around DC...I forgot how cheap my part of the country is!

I looked at a nice model last weekend...2300 sqft LA, cathedral ceilings, 3BR, 2BA, game room, huge walk-in closet and master bath, big 2-car garage on ~1/2 acre, for ~180k.

...but then again, jobs around here pay nothing like in the NE...I guess it's all relative.

·
Confused
3,564 Posts
DaddyMatt said:
300k? :eek: Remind me not to move anywhere around DC...I forgot how cheap my part of the country is!

I looked at a nice model last weekend...2300 sqft LA, cathedral ceilings, 3BR, 2BA, game room, huge walk-in closet and master bath, big 2-car garage on ~1/2 acre, for ~180k.

...but then again, jobs around here pay nothing like in the NE...I guess it's all relative.
damn...that kinda house will set you back four-fiddy, five here in the dc sub-urbs.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
DC Dave hit the nail on the head!

You might have to search a little bit, especially if you don't want your commute to be a PITA every morning. If your job is close to METRO then you should be able to find something in the Silver Spring/Wheaton Area in Maryland. (Take the subway into work!!) Now if you are looking in Virginia, then you might want to look at older homes in Reston or off of Lee Highway in Arlington.

Now if you are looking into refurbishing a home in D.C., have an open mind that it's an investment property. Many of the old housing projects in the city are being torn down and single family homes and new neighborhoods are popping up. I'm renting two homes in the city now, and their value has skyrocketed over the past 5 years. Two areas I'm paying close attention to are: Morris Rd. in S.E. DC which is the hood but the views of the city are awesome and it's near METRO and Ft. Dupont Park which has gorgeous scenery and large older homes that aren't busting the bank.

Talk to a really good realtor who will help you out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My thoughts would be the Woodbridge area. Anything in Arlington, west Fairfax, and east Loudoun county have gone crazy.

My sister in-law bought a 2 bed rambler in Sterling for $160k and it's now worth $270k. Our house in Sterling, 3 bed split level we bought 2 years ago for $230k and we just refinanced it at $350.

You might be able to find something out this way...but with commuting to Alexandria, it's not worth it. The area around Route 1 would probably be nice - but not really the "Hip" place to live. If I had to pick where's "Hip" that would be North Arlington - especially around Clarendon, or Reston.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You may be able to find a 2-bedroom that needs a little work for under $300,000 in Del Ray. We live in Del Ray, and my wife constantly scans the real estate section. Del Ray is a fun area (shops, restaurants), and walking distance to Old Town (long walk, but walking distance nonetheless).

Lemme know if you want the name of my agent--she's really good and she can tell you what's out there.

Go to Realtor.com and do a search on zip code 22301.

Don't be discouraged--I know they're out there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes... cost of living might out way the $$ gain. I'll check out these areas online.

What about "transitional" neighborhoods? Any cheap enough but safe enough (to have nice things and nice cars)?

Luke.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
DaddyMatt said:

Come to Fairfield County, CT. That is probably a $800,000 home, easy.

House across the street for me just sold for $530,000. 1800s.f., 3 BR, family room, finished basement, hardwood throughout. On an unlevel acre in which .25 is usable.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Guyute said:
Come to Fairfield County, CT. That is probably a $800,000 home, easy.
House across the street for me just sold for $530,000. 1800s.f., 3 BR, family room, finished basement, hardwood throughout. On an unlevel acre in which .25 is usable.
:shock: :eek: :eek: Daay-ung! You just described our house, minus the basement and hardwood...on .4 level acres. We bought it 9 yrs ago for $63,500 and recently refinanced to get a lower rate...I won't tell you how obscenely low our mortgage payment is! Maybe life in the "ignorant dirt-poor" South isn't so bad after all. :p

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DC PEOPLE:

How Ghetto is this address:

1004 RHODE ISLAND AVE NE

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I had to look it up--it's harder to tell with the diagonal avenues.
Man, you gotta love the Internet some days!
Details plus photo courtesy of the DC gov't
Recent news stories by the local NBC affiliate mentioning the Brookland neighborhood.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
O.K. I was thinking in the wrong place. It's right off Rhode Island & Reed Street!! I would consider that area more Brentwood than Brookland! They just built a new Giant and Home Depot in that area, and it is slightly changing. The crack demons are right up the street in the housing projects on Montana Ave. going towards Maryland, and in Edgewood which is going into the city at 4th and Rhode Island Ave. N.E. The D.C. Impound Lot is right around the corner, so if you ever get towed in the city you don't have that far to go! :thumbup:

Rhode Island Ave. is also U.S. Route 1 and it goes right into Maryland. This route gets really backed up during rush hour, but this address is right across the street from the Rhode Island Avenue Metro Station. (Red-Line) I can scope it out for you when I pick up a Fish Dinner tommorow from Horace & Dickie's for Lent. I don't think that home has a garage because most in that area utilize Zone Parking. Check the condition of those homes near Reed Street, NE because about 3 years ago there was a major flood in that corridor which damaged alot of homes in that area!!! Foundation work in that area is going to be a B#$%....

Ole' Swami is known for turning a crack-shack into a $$$ maker! Where else can you flip an 80K property into a 400K gem in less than 5 years?? Anacostia (S.E.) and Columbia Heights (N.W) are going to be the next hotspots in the city.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I totally agree about Columbia Heights. My wife had a pro bono case representing the tenants of an apartment building that had been (tentatively) sold to a developer. I would pick her up there sometimes and get to see a neighborhood at the beginning steps of gentrification. Some blocks were nice looking while others were scary. Otherwise, I'm clearly not as familiar with local real estate as the Swami.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
DCdave
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing