Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's stopping incest marriage? i'm not against gay marriage but cant the argument go both ways? i know (in my opinion) its just wrong but all the points of argument for gay marriage could be used to defend 2 brothers or a brother and a sister getting married? :???:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Or the government can just take a step back and let the individuals make their own choices... its not the government's role to allow or deny any marriage (to whomever it may be, as long as they are of consenting age).

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
1.8tbeout said:
what's stopping incest marriage? i'm not against gay marriage but cant the argument go both ways? i know (in my opinion) its just wrong but all the points of argument for gay marriage could be used to defend 2 brothers or a brother and a sister getting married? :???:
from wikki:

The Bible contains a number of references to sexual relations between relatives, some of which would today be considered incest. A minority of people who question the incest taboo often use these references to support philosophical arguments that the taboo is outdated and antiquated.

* Sarah: Half-sister of husband, Abraham. "She really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife." (Gen 20:12)

* Milcah: Sister of Lot, married their uncle, Nahor. "The name of Nahor's wife was Milcah; she was the daughter of Haran, the father of both Milcah and Iscah." (Gen 11:29)

* The names of Lots daughters are not recorded in the Bible. Both had sexual relations with Lot, "so both of Lot's daughters became pregnant by their father." (Gen 19:36)

* Amran: The father of Moses, he married his own aunt. "Amram married his father's sister Jochebed, who bore him Aaron and Moses." (Exod 6:20)

The above references all occur prior to the laws of Leviticus which prohibited sexual relationships between close relatives. (**)

-----
(**) some restrictions apply (except in arkansas)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
and lets not even talk about new zealand; where men are men; and sheep are scared

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
jwilker said:
same thing that kept those things from happenning when it was just man + woman... common sense.
Talk about liberal nonsense.. Common sense? Hah! Don't you know that if we didn't have organized religion and the government telling us how to behave, we'd just run around naked throwing our own crap at each other?

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
1.8tbeout said:
Seriously, how often have you heard of two blood relatives wanting to get married? I mean really? Don't you think that is a pretty silly knee jerk question, when you get right down to the bottom line?

"Where will it end? Could I one day marry my dog or wed my hampster to a barbie doll?" These are just silly superfluous questions that avoid the real issue of bigotry and basic human rights violation.

When you look at a marriage between two unrelated adults of the same sex, there isn't any biological, physical or safety reason to prohibit it. There's just the whole Jerry Falwellesque prudish sensibilities that it's oh so wrong. (oh noes!) However a marriage between two blood relatives creates known biological problems and genetic problems. There's a very good scientific reason to disallow the marriage of blood relatives.

BTW as for biblical references, bear in mind that the population of the earth was orders of magnitude smaller than what it currently is. Many people were related to one another in some way or other. That's if you take the bible literally.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Macabre said:
jwilker said:
same thing that kept those things from happenning when it was just man + woman... common sense.
Talk about liberal nonsense.. Common sense? Hah! Don't you know that if we didn't have organized religion and the government telling us how to behave, we'd just run around naked throwing our own crap at each other?
I know I know. Ever the optimist though :D

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
jwil said:
However a marriage between two blood relatives creates known biological problems and genetic problems. There's a very good scientific reason to disallow the marriage of blood relatives.
you don't mean marriage - you mean sex. but we know what you meant.

BTW as for biblical references, bear in mind that the population of the earth was orders of magnitude smaller than what it currently is. Many people were related to one another in some way or other. That's if you take the bible literally.
then, according to 'god', it wasn't an ABSOLUTE wrong, then. in that case, since 'god' allowed it in some situations, isn't it kinda overstepping your boundaries (as a lawmaker) to override this?

in some cultures, its ok to marry AND have sex with a blood relative, just don't have children.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
With marriage comes sex, and with sex can come unplanned pregnency even among the most careful of people.

Funny how you are arguing biblical references when you don't believe in god. could you pick a side of the fence to be on? I see you have conveniently forgotten the whole 'obey the law of man' thing that is specifically stated in the New Testament.

It's not overstepping any religious bounds, in a culture of - for example - 500 isolated adults, inbreeding is inevitable. In a culture of 150 million adults - give or take - inbreeding is not necessary to ensure the survival of the species. Any benefits associated with inbreeding, from a survival perspective, do not outweigh the risks.

L-W, I swear you just like to argue the opposite of anything other people say. :roll:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jwil said:
When you look at a marriage between two unrelated adults of the same sex, there isn't any biological, physical or safety reason to prohibit it. There's just the whole Jerry Falwellesque prudish sensibilities that it's oh so wrong. (oh noes!) However a marriage between two blood relatives creates known biological problems and genetic problems. There's a very good scientific reason to disallow the marriage of blood relatives.
are you saying homosexuals can reproduce? isnt reproduction the only biological problem?

adoption or artificial insemanation would be the answer to that question, just like a gay marriage

so i guess if incest became more popular the same laws would apply?
it is a little silly, but legally if everyone should have equal rights to marriage who says it should stop with gay people?
if they are two consenting humans that love each other and want to raise children together (adopted or implanted), that deserve the same tax breaks and other legal perks of marriage along with the feeling of acceptance and equality, what legally is different between a homosexual marriage and incestual marriage?

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Macabre said:
I do that anyway!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
jwil said:
With marriage comes sex, and with sex can come unplanned pregnency even among the most careful of people.

Funny how you are arguing biblical references when you don't believe in god. could you pick a side of the fence to be on? I see you have conveniently forgotten the whole 'obey the law of man' thing that is specifically stated in the New Testament.

L-W, I swear you just like to argue the opposite of anything other people say. :roll:
1) I don't believe in the NT. many people don't.
2) I am taunting you
3) so when do you use 'law of man' vs. 'law of god'? there are many contradictions. man can change his laws (and does, all the time).

and finally:

4) HA HA!

;)

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
1.8tbeout said:
At least there are sound medical reasons against incest. What's to stop polygamy though?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Urlik said:
1.8tbeout said:
At least there are sound medical reasons against incest. What's to stop polygamy though?
OK, say the near relatives both got sterilized -- they each get snip, snip. Medical problem has been addressed, so is it ok then? Another interesting angle: could gay brothers or gay sisters marry? What if they truly, deeply loved one another and wanted to get married? Shouldn't that be ok?

And, yep, I see no strong arguments against polygamy either.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Arj said:
Another interesting angle: could gay brothers or gay sisters marry? What if they truly, deeply loved one another and wanted to get married? Shouldn't that be ok?.
What if we allowed black men to marry white women, or Asian men to marry Spanish women. What about tall men to marry short women, or skinny men to marry big fat women. What about a sister and brother not in a gay relationship. What about a mother that wants to marry her son. Heck, maybe her daughter, or her own mother. What about a priest and a nun. What if Donald Trump wants to marry his cleaning lady.

I think there's a big difference between a man and woman, man and man, woman and woman getting married vs brother and sister. A relationship has already been established. But hey, if there are brothers and sisters that want to get married, let them spend the money on the legal fight that the gay community is spent on getting gay marriage and come up with a list of legal reasons why they need that equal right.

A major reason for gay marriage is health, medical and legal right -- and like a majority of my heterosexual married friends, not Sex. But of course, men think of sex every 3 seconds or something like that....so since we live in a world where a majority of men run everything....it's typical that in the fight for gay rights, a majority of people look at what's going on in the gay family's bedroom more interesting than what's going on with the rest of their life.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts