Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is thinking about a new Passat read this.

Last week I had the pleasure of driving a friend's 2006 passat. He had the W8 and my wife an I had his 3.6 Passat with sport package 2, dynaudio and headlight package.

Damn, that will be my next car. This was the most comfortable car I've ever driven. The sport seats are hugging yet luxury-like, but not soft and cushy. Drove from Manchester, NH to New Bedford, Ma (about 1.5 hours), hands down the best ride I've had. This includes BMW 328 and 525 I've driven.

For a stock car it is unreal how fast it is, even cruising on the highway, give it gas and it takes off. Not to mention the paddle shifters, well they bring a whole new meaning to driving. Nice touch IMO. The handling was above and beyond what I eve expected as well. It totally out-performed my GLI VR6 and the W8. The W8 feels like a cadillac compared to the newer Passat.

So to the title of the post, if anyone is thinking about getting a new Passat, I highly reccomend it. Go drive one, you won't be let down, especially if you drive the configuration I was able to use for a week.

Anyone in the New England area, the guy I borrowed it from also works at a VW dealership, I'm sure he'd work with you.

Again, best car I've driven hands down. Just thought I needed to tell some people as I've been lucky enough to drive both a W8 and the new 3.6.

I give it:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMHO, unless it comes with a 6MT you're wasting your money.
I thought the same until I drove the 6 speed auto with paddle shifters, completly changed my outlook. Have you driven the auto? Seriously completely different feel then any auto i've driven. More like a manual for the lazy driver :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought the same until I drove the 6 speed auto with paddle shifters, completly changed my outlook. Have you driven the auto? Seriously completely different feel then any auto i've driven. More like a manual for the lazy driver :D
The 3.6L is a beast.. very fun to drive in combination with the sport package. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
A 3.6 4Motion, Sports package, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, rear side airbags, Samarkand wheels, and a Gen2 Haldex upgrade is on the short list when I finish paying off the W8.
Which will be a few years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put in an order for a 2007 black on black 3.6L Sport sedan, with Dynaudio, navi, rear side airbags last week. It's only been 6-7 days and probably 100 days to go... the wait is killing me already!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put in an order for a 2007 black on black 3.6L Sport sedan, with Dynaudio, navi, rear side airbags last week. It's only been 6-7 days and probably 100 days to go... the wait is killing me already!
Nice ride, probably the setup I will look into getting but instead of the navi, the headlight package. Love the adaptive headlights.

Good luck with it and hopefully it comes in sooner rather then later. Going on week 7 from when we ordered my wife's jeep and nothing :banghead:

·
Registered
575 Posts
IMHO, unless it comes with a 6MT you're wasting your money.
Personal taste...I have the Auto w/ 280hp and its fine by me! I also have a 2.0t passat at home. its my GF's car and I agree, in that car I would choose a manual tranny.

the 3.6 is fun to drive in either tranny form, but thats MY personal opinion.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
i drove the new passat and sport mode is as close to a stick without using a clutch that i have ever seen. if you never drove one then try it, it will shock the sh!t outta you.

only difference i noticed was take off power but i also had a 2.0 spool up.
never drove a V6 yet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i drove the new passat and sport mode is as close to a stick without using a clutch that i have ever seen. if you never drove one then try it, it will shock the sh!t outta you.

never drove a V6 yet.
Drive the 6 and I bet you walk out of the dealer a proud new owner. :biglaugh:

I still think about getting one everyday. For now my GLI will have to do, first mods are going on it this weekend. But from here on out, whenever I think about purchasing a mod I'll secretly put the money in high intrest piggie bank (maybe ing) and after a year buy a 3.6 passat. Sounds like a plan to me :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

never drove a V6 yet.
Takeoff on the 3.6 with 4MO in Sportmode borders on breath-taking. No wheelhop, no chirping; just your foot to the floor, with that 280HP bad boy winding out...SWEET!

·
Registered
364 Posts
What the title should say is " If your thinking about buying a B6, DO NOT look at the B6 forum on vortex". Biggest bunch of crybabies I've ever seen.

I've had my 2007 wagon for 5 months and love it. It's a 2.0T auto and the perfromance is great for what the car is. It's not a porsche. And once you lower them they look great!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What the title should say is " If your thinking about buying a B6, DO NOT look at the B6 forum on vortex". Biggest bunch of crybabies I've ever seen.

I've had my 2007 wagon for 5 months and love it. It's a 2.0T auto and the perfromance is great for what the car is. It's not a porsche. And once you lower them they look great!
Funny you say that about vortex, I've had the same feelings. Wrote this one night as i couldn't take the posts on vortex...vortex rant

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Awesome...a B6 is definitely one of my top 5 considerations to replace my W8 (which will be a few years yet...)

As far as the whore-tex...guess I'm not missing much. I never check it out anymore, I don't even think I have 10 posts over there. PW rocks my face off! :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome...a B6 is definitely one of my top 5 considerations to replace my W8 (which will be a few years yet...)

As far as the whore-tex...guess I'm not missing much. I never check it out anymore, I don't even think I have 10 posts over there. PW rocks my face off! :D
Yeah whore-tex is getting old, mostly (not everyone) a bunch of young kids spending mommie and daddy's money. I hope you guys and ladies don't frown upon me for sticking around pw once the W8 is gone :(

·
Registered
3,905 Posts

I forgot to add...if I get a B6, it MUST be a manual tranny!!!! :lol:

I hope you guys and ladies don't frown upon me for sticking around pw once the W8 is gone :(
Not at all!...you'd be surprised how many members still stick around even if they no longer own a Passat. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts