Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'ma drop some cash for some IDQs. :D

A few questions, what are the differences between the v2 and v3 drivers, i know the V3s look a little different is one really better than the other. Also what about first gen IDQs?

Theres agood deal on 3 (well four but ones damaged) idq 15s on ebay, what are opinions here about 15s? ill likely get a twelve and and tune it tight, so fifteens are prolly not what i want, but there going for under for the three so its one of those salivating deals.

thanks for the input :)

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
15's are not good for overall sound quality, to much BASS.
And i dont know how you could fit 3 or 4 fifteens in the trunk. Image Dynamics Passat is putting 2 ID 15's in the trunk.
Id go with the IDQ's i think that the v in v2 and v3 stands for version so IIRC the v3's are a newer (and maybe improved) model.
Not sure about this though

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
15s were just a temptation, but i coul put it off, 1-2 drivers with small boxes in my variant. the 15s in imagedynamispassat's are id maxes i thnk much deeper.

any way i want thump and sq, ill go 10-12,

the v3s look different, pretty cool, but do they sound different?

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
souplogic said:
15s were just a temptation, but i coul put it off, 1-2 drivers with small boxes in my variant. the 15s in imagedynamispassat's are id maxes i thnk much deeper.

any way i want thump and sq, ill go 10-12,

the v3s look different, pretty cool, but do they sound different?
Ah variant i missed that part, yea you could fit it :weirdo:
Not sure about the differneces between the two though???

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Ok, first, there are no IDQ v.3s. There are ID v.3s, but the IDQs are v.2s. The IDQv.2s require a smaller box than the IDv.3s, but the IDv.3s will get a hair louder. I'd do the IDQs since I know from having owned a pair of the 12s and 3 of the 10's that they'll get PLENTY loud so why not use an IDQv.2 and save some space.

Second, 15's are AWESOME for SQ. The reason is they will play low bass much louder than a 10 or 12 will. Also, since they move so much air they have to move LESS for a given output level. The best souding car I've EVER heard had a pair of 15s in it.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well ill be damned your right, and now ive got 11 hours to decide if wanna get theese idq 15s, but i dont think they are v2s, how important is that?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
If the logo on the cone is black, they're v.1s, if it's teal and white, they're v.2s. The ONLY difference was the v.2s had a little more Xmax so they'd play a bit louder. But we're talking about 15s here..........I think even the v.1s will be lenty loud.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
ok lets see if i can get it all one here...

here is a list of the different lines currenly in existance and the ones still in production

ID version 2 (10",12",15") Black basket smaller motor assembly, 2" voice coil Blue wings on dust cap logo.

IDQ Version 2 (10",12",15") teal green basket, teal wings on logo on dust cap, 2.5" voice coil, much beefier than ID version 2

ID version 3 (8",10",12") Grey Basket, Grey Motor Cover, Smooth black cone, newer design for overal sq/spl, moderate to small enclosure driver with 16 to 20 mm xmax, lower price point, very capable of street bass and SQ

IDQ version 3 -----NOT AVAILABLE----

IDMAX Version 3 (10",12") --- premier line sub-- 2" biflor flat wound voice coil, bifloridian aluminum VC cooling, 1000 Watts RMS, 1.45 sealed recommended, 8.25" mounting depth, Dumax linear 1 way xmax 25.2 mm, SD 545 cm2, designed for high end sq and stable high spl applications

For all sub specs and additional Data please refer to http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/tech/index.html

concerning the subs in my car they ar enot availabe and will not be available for some time. They are strictly prototypes and yes they are very very big and deep.

Normally I would agree with rollinon the most 15's dont sound good for sq but in most cases a lot of manufactures usethe same motors they use on smaller drivers to keep cost down and in return they become as some would say under motored and becoem slow and sloppy. The IDQ 15 has a dependent propriority motor and coil design and they are more than able to handle sq applications as well as wondow shatering bass. I used to have 3 of these in my beater car with 600 watts per sub in a MAzda Protoge infinate baffle application and wwooohhhooooo man that was a fun car.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
quality_sound said:
If the logo on the cone is black, they're v.1s, if it's teal and white, they're v.2s. The ONLY difference was the v.2s had a little more Xmax so they'd play a bit louder. But we're talking about 15s here..........I think even the v.1s will be lenty loud.

V.2's are almsot a whole different beast. different motor, different spider, different gap set on coil, different coil, slihtly different surround and 1/2" top plate comapred to 1/4" and 3/8" top plate designs on the original Version 1 or DVC version as they were refered to.

Version 1 or DVC series = All black dust cap
first generation version 2 = Teal Green and white Dust Cap
Second Generation v.2 = BLue and White Dust Cap

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, I missed my chance to get 3 15s, but thats a little much anyway.

thanks so much for the help tho, usefull little list there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts