Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Identifying ATF issue 2002 v6 Shifts but no gears engage.

930 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jjpark 
#1 ·
Hey all,
So Ive trawled through the forums to find a previous post with this specific issue and have come up empty.

So recently my water pump blew and my engine fried, luckily I was able to pick up a replacement low KM engine and had it installed.

Now only a couple of months after I started having issues shifting into gear.
Firstly I could move the shifter down but no gears would engage, there is some resistance while moving.
I gave the car a shake to engage the gears and I was able to get Reverse and drive although they didnt line up with where they should on the shifter, but on the dash they were correct.
It drove fine and no noticeable lag, delay or clunks in the transmission or anything. (so im thinking its not the transmission itself)

I put it on some ramps and cracked the 17mm bung hole on the transmission pan and tranny fluid came out, so I quickly tightened back up. (Car was cold and on a angle because of ramps and was tilting toward the whole)
So atleast I knew there was trasmission fluid (possibly not enough)
I couldnt engage gear to get it off the ramps but after a bunch of mucking around I finally got reverse to work and move it.

I have read it could be the bushing that are worn on the cable, but I cant seem to locate it to check youtube has some info but they always show them out of the car, which hasnt helped me locate it.
Or it could be something loose after new engine.

In a last ditch effort before I send it to the shop which I really cant afford, I thought id reach out and see if anyone has experienced something similar and can steer me in the right direction.

See less See more
#5 ·
The shifter cable runs along the left side (if sitting in the car) of the transmission. It is usually a dull Orange color and connects to the Multi-function switch located behind the trans mount bracket.
Unless you live in an area that has a lot of salt exposure (due to snow/ice on the roads or beach-front flooding), I doubt the cable is the issue. I do suspect the multi-function switch is bad.

#6 ·
Much appreciated... ill get under and take a look. Just because the engine was recently replaced I was thinking they may not have been connected properly but will check out the multi-function switch as well. You guys are legends really appreciate the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.