Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a 94 wrangler. long story short it needs an engine, it's originally equipped with a 2.5 auto. since the 2.5 is the geyest thing i've i've ever driven in my life a swap is in order. so i've heard of v8's being swapped into wranglers before but was wondering if anyone had any experience with swapping them and which v8's are more straight forward of a swap. so far i've heard a chevy 350 w/ 350 trans will be straight forward, but he wasnt confident in his memory. by straight forward i mean as far as engine swaps go, basically i'm concerned about the tranny bolting to the tranfer case. all help/comments appreciated (good or bad)

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
did you try the jeep boards?
i used to 350 them back in the day, i dont know how they are now.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
350/350 would be good, I think you could user a 700r4 behind that to, what transfer as do you have, more then likely you would have to take the tranny apart to put a new out put shaft in.

a divorced Tcase would be an option if you have a longer wheel base.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
If you're really into off-roading get the Daimler 5 cyl diesel in there!

Other then that, it seems easier just to sell it and get a 4.0 I6 doesn't it?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's not a metter of off roading, although the diesel would be cool but i bet expensive an extensive swap, and to sell it with a bad engine would yield next to nothing, hardly cover cost of a 6 cyl jeep. since i got the truck for free putting an engine isnt a huge deal and certainly wont be a money losing situation since the demand for wranglers is fairly high and they usually pull in decent resale prices. just kills me to put back that shitty 2.5 for close to the cost of a v8 transplant

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
it's not a metter of off roading, although the diesel would be cool but i bet expensive an extensive swap, and to sell it with a bad engine would yield next to nothing, hardly cover cost of a 6 cyl jeep. since i got the truck for free putting an engine isnt a huge deal and certainly wont be a money losing situation since the demand for wranglers is fairly high and they usually pull in decent resale prices. just kills me to put back that shitty 2.5 for close to the cost of a v8 transplant
Yea, that 2.5 SUCKS. The mileage was actually worse then the 4.0.

On the plus side you have lower gearing from the factory then the 6 cyl.

A small block would probably be the easiest and cheapest, I'm sure the Jeep forums are covered with info on this. Everytime someone posts something here about Jeeps I wanna go get another one!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I hate working on Jeeps. Mostly because I'm short. But changing spark plugs on the 2.5 would take forever because I couldn't reach over the tall, massive fenders. I've been avoiding it on my roommate's Jeep since last year. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts