Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having fleeting ideas of selling the truck. Yes, I'd buy something else, utilitarian, but still nicer than the truck. Or maybe turning the W8 into a mod car...

I want to know, canyou get a 1.8T 5-speed 4Mo Variant (what a mouthful!)? This seems like a perfet choice. I need AWD for winter, I would love a stick, and the 18.T is an awesome engine...

What mods can be performed on the relatively new kind of car? Like exhaust and suspension... I bet the engine and intake is all the same.

How much could I tow with this kind of car? I haul a 1000 pound camper, 4 people, and probably 600 other pounds of kayaks, camping gear, bikes, and coolers almost four times a summer. Could a car like this handle that?

Also, can you get black in the '04 models? I don't have much of a liking for that anthracite... also, is anthracite a color option on '04's?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes, VW does offer a 1.8T manual 4motion Passat wagon. It is available in black. Anthacite is an interior color option on 2004 Passats.

Yes, you can start modding a new Passat right away. Personally, I would wait for the factory break in period to have run before making any engire/ecu changes like a chip, N76J valve, etc. That leaves a lot of options as far as modifying the car right away.

I don't know what the towing capacity is. I suggest you try www.vw.com There you can "build your own" and check out all the specs.

Slider.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. What I meant is, for the mods, is that 'are there mods availble for a new car', not 'can I just start and mod it without driving it'.

Thanks.

Must... talk... to... family... :poke:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
TWO B5.5s! Who's allowing this? :lol: I'd be in heaven I think. Imagine that, one to treasure, and one to just have fun with. It'd be tough to choose!

-Wapptor

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
hitch

You can install a class 1 hitch 1 1/4 that is able to tow 2000 lbs and the tounge weight is I think 200 lbs. I have a 2003 wagon (not 4 motion) w/ a hitch and if you get a wagon go with the delan hitch. Also buy it from Uhaul over the counter and install yourself, if you can beleive this they beat all prices by about $80 I got my hitch for $100 (no shipping charges). Good Luck and buy a roof rack and the possibilities are endless. Later

·
Registered
1 Posts
Towing capacity

I have been researching towing with the Passat. The FWD models have a tongue capacity of 150lbs, and the AWD have a capacity of about 250lbs. Both have a towing weight of 1500lbs, and allow 2000lbs if the trailer has aux. brakes. This is true for at least 2001 models and newer.
I've been just trying to find out if the tongue weight capacity of the FWD can be increased by using either after-market springs/ struts, or if the AWD springs and struts (which are different) can be put directly into the FWD wagon. I don't know id the control arms or related interfacing hardware is different.
I actually joined this forum to see if anyone else knows any more, but I thought I'd share what I've gotten so far.
Does anyone else know any more?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Definitely a thumb up to the wagon. I think you lose a little bit of cargo capacity with the 4Motion option. Then again, I would rather be safe in the snow than be able to carry and extra show box of stuff. Then again the non-4Mo (two B5s in the family, mine (1.8T) and mom (V6) ) handled the snow of SWPA fine. I made a few trips to 7Springs, Hidden Valley, etc.

There are definitely mods for it too. Nothing like a lowered Variant. MMMMM mm. Sweet Holy Bible are they sharp.. just think of Roxy. I am thinking of this.. but a V1 might take my money instead.

As for the weight, just have to check the VW Specs. I never towed with my wagon though it does get loaded down with goods on my way to and fro the East Coast.

Stephen.

Greensburg.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ideas about a wagon (and towing)

re: towing with a Passat

The major differences between FWD and AWD towing capacities are due to 2 things: rear suspension and traction.

The rear suspension of the AWD is obviously different from the FWD. I've heard from someone with a FWD sedan that his car travelled with a loaded trunk and 4 passengers MUCH better with the 1BE suspension than stock. You get a slight drop with the 1BE, but more importantly, higher spring and damping rates will keep the rear from sagging as much and keep the weighted body motions in check.

As far as traction, especially when pulling a boat out of the water, extra weight on the hitch unweights the front wheels and could result in a situation where you'd be unable to pull the boat out with a FWD car but be fine with a similar AWD car. Other than that situation, FWD should provide sufficient traction for pulling, turning, etc.

So... I think with a well chosen suspension upgrade, and assuming you're not in severe traction limited situations like pulling a boat up a wet ramp, a FWD Passat would safely tow as much as the AWD version including the heavier tongue capacity. Plus the curb weight of the FWD car should be less so that's a little extra capacity before you get to the GVWR.

FWIW, as I recall, my manual for my '99 has a huge (for a midsize sedan)towing figure for a trailer with brakes, like 2750 or 3250 pounds or something like that. It still states the 150 pound hitch weight as mentioned above which is generally not good to tow that much with such a small % of the total weight on the hitch.

Tow ratings are hard to interpret. Early B5's had tow ratings, some of which were pretty generous. Later B5's had no tow ratings in their owners manuals at all. The same vehicle will often have tow ratings in Europe and no or lower tow ratings in the US. Most vehicles can probably safely tow more than they are rated for here in the US if they are driven modestly.

I don't think you'd have a problem with your example at all.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.