Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of Bilsteins this past weekend and would like to get a set of springs that can be used for autocross. Is there a set of springs other than H&R or Neuspeed that won't dramatically lower my car, yet increases the spring rate. Can the SRS Springs be used with Bilsteins sports?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Speaking from personal experience. The Bilstein HD and Sport are valved the same. The only difference is the droop length. The Sports will work with the SRS springs and the stock springs. I've done both. If you don't/can't get the SRS springs the next best thing are the stock springs for auto-x.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Speaking from personal experience. The Bilstein HD and Sport are valved the same. The only difference is the droop length. The Sports will work with the SRS springs and the stock springs. I've done both. If you don't/can't get the SRS springs the next thing are the stock springs for auto-x.
So you can run the sports with the stock springs with no ill effect or difference from HDs?
My shocks need replacement (98k miles), and I'm not sure I can wait until Shine gets the Real Street in stock (which they have revised until may :banghead: )
Its getting damn near impossible to find HDs for B5.5s in the US.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So SRS is the way to go for an Autocross setup? Any idea on how much, if any the SRS springs will drop my car? How do the Vogtlands compare to SRS?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
How do the Vogtlands compare to SRS?
Believe they're significantly softer than stock.
The only vogtland setup i've heard of as stiffer is Rustly jerry-rigged setup invovling some sort of hacked coilovers. Its complicated :p
The SRS is they only off the shelf game in town.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Believe they're significantly softer than stock.
The only vogtland setup i've heard of as stiffer is Rustly jerry-rigged setup invovling some sort of hacked coilovers. Its complicated :p
The SRS is they only off the shelf game in town.
Shut up Nick:poke:

There not hacked, they are Koni coilover sleeves.

Also Vogtlands are pretty stiff, but I don't know there actually spring rate.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Shut up Nick:poke:

There not hacked, they are Koni coilover sleeves.

Also Vogtlands are pretty stiff, but I don't know there actually spring rate.
And I don't mean hacked as in "cut" but non-off the shelf, put together at home, which it is (somehwat equivent to "hack" in terms of computers before the media scaremonger stook it over). Rusty's set up is equivelent to nothing on the market.
Oh and I was wrong aboyt vogtland in front:
OEM 2002 Passat 1.8t wagen front 230
Vogtland Passat B5 VDF VA 965062 front 219
OEM 98 Passat front 204.5

OEM 2000 Passat FWD rear 224.75
OEM 2001 Passat rear 220
OEM 2001 Passat front 219.5
OEM 98 Passat rear 199
Vogtland Passat B5 VDF HA 956064 rear 187

Only the rear is signifcantly softer.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
ROFL...
Yes I have "hacked" in the good sense a great front suspension setup, suggested by Mike Kim at puremotorsports (www.purems.com).

400 lb Vogtland springs (standard 2.5" springs, 10" long)
Koni "aggresive valved" front shocks for an S4 (adjusted to 40% stiff)
Koni coilover sleeves

From what I've been able to gather, this setup is fairly equivalent to the Shine front setup. I've driven scirocco78's car, and it feels very similar. I actually prefer his car to mine, perhaps it's the custom-valved Shine Bilstein's, or a slightly different spring rate. Or perhaps it's his car's 300 lb weight advantage - manual tranny and no sunroof. But surely it's not the swaybars... :)

Getting the shocks machined to accept the sleeves was the worst part. Because of its shape, it was difficult to chuck the shock into a lathe and cut the groove perfect, unless you have just the right lathe and cutter. I was lucky and the machine shop I chose had adequate equipment - barely.

I might be trying 450 lbs springs before the next track day. It's a difficult decision - I really love the car the way it is. But it might be just a skoosh better with 450's... and this is exactly the reason I went with the coilover sleeves - so I could experiment w/o major hassle.

On the rear I have standard Passat Koni Yellows adjusted to 50% stiff, plus a pair of prototype Shine springs just like Bill's (scirocco78). I still don't quite understand how I scored them - sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart, I guess. :beer: I don't know what the rate is - the "push down the fender" test says they are significantly stiffer than stock - Dick will publish rates when he gets his springs into production. I guarantee everyone that they will be worth the wait. The Shine springs transformed my car - it feels like a "flicky-flicky" autocrosser now. Simply amazing that a car this big can feel so nimble. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
27,752 Posts
A spring from a heavier car will be stiffer. I used V6 springs on my 1.8T and I am using H+R Race spring from an A6Q Avant springs on my wagon. They are quite a bit stiffer than stock. I found the 1BE springs on my sedan to be stiffer than the stock springs too but I did not measure them to figure out the rate.

With the Bilsteins you can order the coil over sleeves and run almost any spring you want. I have the Koni coil over sleeves in my garage and once I get done grinding the Koni perch plates to fit over them (less noise, better ride), I will install them in my car. I had the shocks grooved last year when I changed the springs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So..theoretically, I could use the V6 springs instead of the 1.8T specific springs and they'd be stiffer? I'd assume this is only for the front? I'm still leaning toward the SRS springs though...

Pete

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Get the SRS springs if you can.

However, I have to say I think Eibach Pro Kits and
Sportlines are both very well made springs... better
than H&R and most others... If you decided to go
that route. I'd get Eibachs before improperly rated
V6 springs IMHO.

"All Eibach Pro-Kits are designed for the same maximum
load like the OE springs. Actually, a progressive Eibach
spring generates higher resistance under heavier load."

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Get the SRS springs if you can.

However, I have to say I think Eibach Pro Kits and
Sportlines are both very well made springs... better
than H&R and most others... If you decided to go
that route. I'd get Eibachs before improperly rated
V6 springs IMHO.

"All Eibach Pro-Kits are designed for the same maximum
load like the OE springs. Actually, a progressive Eibach
spring generates higher resistance under heavier load."
Sorry to rain on your parade but I have to refer to this thread again regarding the Eibach. I would choose the Eibachs over any other spring for a lowered look on the street but he asked for auto-x springs. Right now the best choices on the market are 1: SRS 2: Stock.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205178&page=5

·
Registered
27,752 Posts
So..theoretically, I could use the V6 springs instead of the 1.8T specific springs and they'd be stiffer? I'd assume this is only for the front? I'm still leaning toward the SRS springs though...

Pete
Yes, it will lower 1/2" less (on average) than the 1.8T springs would. But the rear springs are still a problem on the FWD. Since you plan on AutoX, I would wait for the SRS springs.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sorry to rain on your parade but I have to refer to this thread again regarding the Eibach. I would choose the Eibachs over any other spring for a lowered look on the street but he asked for auto-x springs. Right now the best choices on the market are 1: SRS 2: Stock.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205178&page=5
Yeah, I've read that thread before, and I've seen the posted spring rates.
Eibach's are higher than OE = stiffer = tighter handling. Right?
But I'm not sure what end of the progression scale those numbers come
from anyway, so whatever.

To requote Eibach "All Eibach Pro-Kits are designed for the
same maximum load like the OE springs. Actually, a progressive
Eibach spring generates higher resistance under heavier load."
Who else has made this statement? They also post info specifically
for each springs load rate based on exact model of car,
accessories, etc.

"The" best choices? OE is better than Eibach for auto-crossing?
I disagree. But hey that's just my opninion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts