Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U know I never thought I would say this but I wish I never bought a black Passat. Although I love my Passat, I am now starting to hate "black". Am I the only one that everyday seems to find another scratch? I knew black looked great clean and would get scratched but I never thought.... Next Tuesday I am scheduled for a professional detail. I am a very avid washer and waxer of my Passat as many of you have probably seen from my previous pics, so there really is no negligence on my part and I only buy the best for my B5. But mark my words I will never buy a black car again! A VW yes, but a black one no!!!!!!!! :cry:

Wood

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I hear ya.... mine is Black. Had it "professionally" detailed the week I got it. Polish wax the whole bit. Scratches aren't too bad, but out here in the desert with the wind blowing it gets dirty the next day!! Sucks!! :puke:

It's real dirty now and I need to wash again... I'll probably find more scratches when I do... but I hope not.

But I STILL :heart: LOVE :heart: IT!! (color just isn't my first choice)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I feel your pain. But, they do look great when clean [even though its only for a few minutes].

I guess I'm a sucker for pain.

·
Founder
18,464 Posts
If you dont keep a black car garaged, its DEFINATELY a pain to keep up...and yes it does get scratched up, ESPECIALLY BY CATS!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garaged up

The GREEK said:
If you dont keep a black car garaged, its DEFINATELY a pain to keep up...and yes it does get scratched up, ESPECIALLY BY CATS!
Garaged up isn't a problem. :D It's just everything else thats the problem. :cry:

Wood

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Actually a lot of the scratches that are instilled in black outside of the major stuff is done by the owner and thier washing/drying/dusting/QD'ing habits.

Proper washing drying some think is a pain but I can wash/dry/ detail tires/ dry door & trunk edges / dry wheels / wipe down the dash & door panels in less than 30 minutes.

Its not so much the soap thats the problem its the sponge/mitt that used in the washing and the appliance ( towels etc ) used to dry the car.

I won't get into it here but I have a writeup suitable for the * average* black car washing if you want it.

I give my car a full polishing in the spring ( right now) and the rest of the year its just a touchup of the things that happen .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jesstzn said:
Actually a lot of the scratches that are instilled in black outside of the major stuff is done by the owner and thier washing/drying/dusting/QD'ing habits.

Proper washing drying some think is a pain but I can wash/dry/ detail tires/ dry door & trunk edges / dry wheels / wipe down the dash & door panels in less than 30 minutes.

Its not so much the soap thats the problem its the sponge/mitt that used in the washing and the appliance ( towels etc ) used to dry the car.

I won't get into it here but I have a writeup suitable for the * average* black car washing if you want it.

I give my car a full polishing in the spring ( right now) and the rest of the year its just a touchup of the things that happen .

Jesstzn

Actually I read your post before on what you do with your car. I too can finish my car within 30 minutes and really enjoy each minute spent washing and waxing. I know you prep yours with clay and actually I just ordered some and can't wait to try I will be sure to post pics when I do.

Wood

P.S. What is up with Photohost?

·
Registered
148 Posts
SouperSport said:
I hear ya.... mine is Black. Had it "professionally" detailed the week I got it. Polish wax the whole bit. Scratches aren't too bad, but out here in the desert with the wind blowing it gets dirty the next day!! Sucks!! :puke:

It's real dirty now and I need to wash again... I'll probably find more scratches when I do... but I hope not.

But I STILL :heart: LOVE :heart: IT!! (color just isn't my first choice)
AV huh! Man, when I lived in Palmdale, i had a white car and I was still complaining on how quick it got dirty. How did you come to buying a black car when its 110 degrees in the summer?????

·
Registered
177 Posts
My dad has a Black CTS, and I know what you mean! But through 3yrs. of running a detail business, I've picked up a few simple rules.

1. The wash mitt NEVER touches anything other than the car from door strip and up. Never lay it down, always hang it!

2. Never use dishwashing liquid, its to abrassive, find a good Car wash soap and spend the extra money.

3. Two diff. mitts, one for above door strip, one for below and for bumber. Wheels are a whole seperate cloth that never touches the body.

4. Never dry or shammie your car unless it was just hand washed! Same rule applies to the shammie that applies to wash mitts.

5. Never wax a car unless freshly hand washed. And always wash with cold water and soap. Hot water breaks the wax down to fast.

I know these are a little obsessive compulsive, but hey, You do what you have to do to preserve the Beauty of a Black car. Hardest color to maintain........but most beautiful color if maintained perfectly! My dads car looks like it did the day he bought it.......But I also Banned him from ever washing it.....and I charge him $15 for the basic hand wash........A mans gotta make his money! :lol:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
woodster76 said:
U know I never thought I would say this but I wish I never bought a black Passat. Although I love my Passat, I am now starting to hate "black". Am I the only one that everyday seems to find another scratch? I knew black looked great clean and would get scratched but I never thought.... Next Tuesday I am scheduled for a professional detail. I am a very avid washer and waxer of my Passat as many of you have probably seen from my previous pics, so there really is no negligence on my part and I only buy the best for my B5. But mark my words I will never buy a black car again! A VW yes, but a black one no!!!!!!!! :cry:

Wood
Ahhhhh, I feel your pain :cry: I wanted the silver, but at the time the New Passat had been introduced and they were really hard to come by, so after waiting for 5 months I finally broke in and bought it not having a clue as to how much work would be involved to keep it looking good and swirl-free. I will never buy another black car!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Black is my favorite color on a car but I am to Anal to own one. I had 2 Black cars and as soon as your done cleaning and polishing the polen turns it green :mad:
Funny cause most people I see with Black cars are the ones who dont take care of it whatsoever because the ones who are Anal know what it takes to care for a Black vehicle!
Silverstone for me if you please :wink:
The Black interior is another problem shows every spec of dust and thats enough for me to take care of!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Warped said:
Black is my favorite color on a car but I am to Anal to own one. I had 2 Black cars and as soon as your done cleaning and polishing the polen turns it green :mad:
Funny cause most people I see with Black cars are the ones who dont take care of it whatsoever because the ones who are Anal know what it takes to care for a Black vehicle!
Silverstone for me if you please :wink:
The Black interior is another problem shows every spec of dust and thats enough for me to take care of!
Warped

That is so true about the pollen. Wow another person from PA. I am from New Castle close to Pittsburgh, but am now residing in Germany. I purchased my GLX over here. I really don't like the fact taking it to a professional detailer but oh well. See how the surface scratches removal goes.

Wood

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I used to use Turtle Wax and found that the scratches would never go away. I used to use this stuff for years on my previous beige car (oops, a Toyota), but on my Black Passat the scratches were very apparent. Switched to MOTHER'S Wax and it rocks - scratches are gone, no green globs everywhere, and much easier to buff off. I too wanted a silver car but black was the only 4-Mo available as it was year end. Twice as much work to keep clean as any other car I've owned but I really love the color now and because I am so anal about keeping it spotless, it isn't really a problem. Everyone has silver - it's time has past. The problem is if it rains, the next day all my friends say how come your car is so dirty! :shock:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
leadfoot said:
I used to use Turtle Wax and found that the scratches would never go away. I used to use this stuff for years on my previous beige car (oops, a Toyota), but on my Black Passat the scratches were very apparent. Switched to MOTHER'S Wax and it rocks - scratches are gone, no green globs everywhere, and much easier to buff off. I too wanted a silver car but black was the only 4-Mo available as it was year end. Twice as much work to keep clean as any other car I've owned but I really love the color now and because I am so anal about keeping it spotless, it isn't really a problem. Everyone has silver - it's time has past. The problem is if it rains, the next day all my friends say how come your car is so dirty! :shock:
Question? I keep on hearing about Mother's wax. Where do you get this. Currently, I am using P&S Sales Express wax and it is also very easy to buff off. Let me know.

Wood

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I too have struggled with Black Paint. I used to work at an auto-detailer/stereo shop in undergrad and I can't find any pads for my old Bronheim buffers. :cry:

I normally just wash and claybar the car, then drop it off at my favorite detailer for the Meguiars 4 Step.

·
Registered
374 Posts
think you've got it bad? try georgia pollen! I can fully wash and wax my black beauty and have it looking like a green goblin the next day. I feel your pain :) red or silver for me next time... black interior is always the way to go though, who cares if it is hot

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
27 Participants
djskribble705
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing