Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car started misfiring today took it to Autozone and came up with a code for the 1st cylinder misfire. I am pretty sure this is a result of a faulty ICM.Checked ICM with a voltage meter and I can not get a reading from any of the cylinder connectors. Not sure what this means. Car will still runs, badly but it will run. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The wife's car had the same issue (#1 cylinder dead).

Note: You need to set your meter to read ohms before checking the ICM. (noted in the link above)

Another quick note: If you have the Bosch ICM, it's not necessary to replace it with another Bosch unit. My ICM wend bad, and I replaced it with the HUCO unit (less than 1/2 price).

From scanning the posts here, both units have a similar longevity (about 50k-60k miles). If your ICM is bad, it's less painful to go with the HUCO unit.

·
Registered
295 Posts
GrayGhost said:
Car started misfiring today took it to Autozone and came up with a code for the 1st cylinder misfire. I am pretty sure this is a result of a faulty ICM.Checked ICM with a voltage meter and I can not get a reading from any of the cylinder connectors. Not sure what this means. Car will still runs, badly but it will run. Anyone have any ideas?
If your using a common voltage meter to test the pass through of the ICM and are not getting a reading from any of the positions, just switch the red and black to the other sides of the ICM. The ICM is a switch and only always power to flow one way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i was able to get one for $100 online...replacement took literally 5 to 10 minutes...THANKS TO CLUBB5...

dealer wanted $500 to fix....a local auto-repair wanted $400...it was the easiest fix..and they want to charge you the mininum one hour of labor...plus like $300+ for the part...RIP OFF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.