1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 passat
5 speed
69K miles

Well, after leaving the gym for my 5 minute ride home, my CEL light started to blink and the car ran rough, but ran. Then after about a mile the CEL was solid and it was really rough running.

At this point I thought it would be best to drive right to my mechanic (whom I trust).

He said it was a misfire on cylinder #2 and that he'd look into it further.

Once he did some more investigating, he found it was the ICM and told me he could get it from VW for $300 or aftermarket for about half that.

So I went with the aftermarket, Huco I think and all is well now.

Few points;

Had I known before hand, I could have saved a bit of $$ if I had an ICM on hand b\c my passat was getting up there in miles (at least for the ICM).

Also, I was so nervous about it being timing belt related, I decided to not even drive the short distance to AutoZone to scan the codes.

Guess this is a live and learn situation, but if your miles are around 70K and you havnt having replaced your ICM yet, it might be worth investing in one now and saving yourself $100 or so and doing it yourself.

My guy charged me $320, which isnt that bad, but I def would have saved by doing it myself.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm on my fourth ICM. Every 50k mis or so I'm good for a new one. The #2 misfire is a "false" code. But #2 misfire is what my bad ICMs always showed. Your symptoms are exactly what I experienced each time it went.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When the ICM goes bad, it shorts out the cylinder 2 circuit within the ICM.
http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1594531.phtml
The above link explains how the ICM works and how to test one.
FWIW, I was able to get a new ICM (Hamburg Technik) for $69 shipped off of fleabay. The HUCO's are starting to get unfavorable reports and Bosch are way too exspensive.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I'm on my fourth ICM. Every 50k mis or so I'm good for a new one. The #2 misfire is a "false" code. But #2 misfire is what my bad ICMs always showed. Your symptoms are exactly what I experienced each time it went.
You are either extremely unlucky or there is something else wrong. I'd check out all the harnesses and the engine ground. You are using the heat sink paste, correct?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He certainly made quite a bit on labor as replacement as it takes only five minutes, but for someone not familiar with VWs, the diagnostics may have taken a while.
tell me about it. i say it's a fair price only compared to the dealer.
if i was better prepared, i could have certainly handled the job on my own; i only have one car so i was ina bind to get it fixed asap.

i read his bill, and it's what it is b\c of the $70+ for diagnostics.

live and learn.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
He certainly made quite a bit on labor as replacement as it takes only five minutes, but for someone not familiar with VWs, the diagnostics may have taken a while.
$70 for diagnostics plus $80 dollar for part does not add up to $320 anyhow? i would suggest that you find another mechanic. also original bosch ICM does not cost $300, it runs about 40 dollars more than HUCO unit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts