Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wish it was a snake so it would bite me...(Update w/Pics)

All,

I feel like such an idiot right now. I can not locate the coolant temperature sensor on my 2001 AUG B5. I have a haynes, I looked at the pics on the tailgentx site, but I can not find this thing!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:
I know I am looking in the right general area (back of the engine), but I just do not see anything that would resemble it. IF it was not dark out now, I would take some pics of the area and see if anyone could point it out to me. I know this is going to be a D'oh! moment once it is located.

Also, while I was looking at the back of the engine, I noticed some oil build up. Does not look good. Will definately post some pics of this tomorrow. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help you all can give me.
Will seriously try to post some pics tomorrow afternoon at work.

"Blind Dog" Dave :banghead:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Remove the engine cover.

Stand in front of the engine and locate the coil packs. Draw an imaginary line through them. Follow that line to the back of the engine. Run your hand down the back of the head and to the right (driver) a bit and you will feel a fitting that is bolted to the head. That fitting is the coolant T. It connects to the upper coolant pipe on the right side. On the left side (passenger), it juts up and in that section you will find the coolant temp sender.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.
I will look into this at lunch tomorrow.
Any idea on the oil deposits on the back of the motor?

Dave

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
vanburen said:
Any idea on the oil deposits on the back of the motor?

Dave
Well, the normal cause is valve cover gaskets or somesuch. But for me it was a slightly cracked oil dipstick tube holder. Over time, the slightly-leaking oil worked its way to the back of the engine.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
You might have part of a wiring harness on top of the sensor. On the AUG/AWM,they are buried a little.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I found it, and it is buried beneath the wires going to the coild packs. And these wires are all tied together, and it is just a freakin mess. I can not get my hand in there. Will just have to wait for the weekend. There are also some metal tubes in the way... just a freaking mess.
Thanks for the help all.
If anyone is in the Roanoke/Salem VA area, and has done this before, please contact me and maybe we can get together or something. Free beer if that's your thing.

Dave

Frylock: That's not a toy!

Master Shake: You say that about everything you own. You should own toys. They're fun.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
AUG has the VCT solenoid right near/over it...total PITA!!

see if you state's emissions laws cover it...MA requires extended warranty coverage to be provided by the manufacturer...

You can try to climb on top of the motor and see if that helps....just don't crush anything!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the VCT solenoid? I assume it is that circular shiny part that is right in my way, but what does it actually do?
I don't really understand what you are saying about the emissions laws? We don't have emission checks at inspection in this part of VA. Only in Northern VA so far.
Either way, I still can't get my hand back there, and I refuse to pay someone to change such a simple part.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, Salem VA :p

Thanks for clarifying that. :D
Anyways... thanks for all the comments.
Still don't know what a VCT solenoid is for.
Probably another D'oh moment when I find out.
Will post some pics when I get in there this weekend so you all can see what a PITA the AUG engine can be... but I still love it.
Thanks again, and keep posting if you think of anything.

Dave

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
VCT= Variable Cam Timing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, got the darn thing installed.

Took me about 2 hours (including an oil change). This is definitely not a job for anybody with big hands. Here is a pic of the sensor after I got it released and pulled it up to withing view. Notice all the hoses and such around it and try to imagine having to find the sensor under all this crap.

Here is a pic of the offending sensor next to the new one.
Sure you can tell which is which.

Oh yeah, and see that little POS black clip next to them? That is what holds the sensor in. I must have dropped that thing at least 4 times. Twice it fell all the way through to the ground, twice I had to reach up in and feel around on the cross members and such to locate it. This is the part that took me so long. Trying to squeeze one hand between the firewall and push the sensor down, while squeezing another hand back there trying to get this clip back on.
I think if I had to do it again, it would take no more than 20 minutes. Hopefully, I won't have to do it again.
I would like to thank everyone for the help that was given in this post, and if anyone needs help changing this sensor on an AUG engine, just give me a holler.

Thanks all. Cheers and beers.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts