Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Keep hearing about Peugeot and Alfa coming to the states. First it was 2005, now 2007, is it ever going to happen????? I'm sure there will be a market for these cars here, they are absolutely gorgeous. What are they thinking?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
kezho said:
Keep hearing about Peugeot and Alfa coming to the states. First it was 2005, now 2007, is it ever going to happen????? I'm sure there will be a market for these cars here, they are absolutely gorgeous. What are they thinking?
Obviously you're not old enough to recall the era just before these marques left the States the last time - it wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Altair 4 said:
kezho said:
Obviously you're not old enough to recall the era just before these marques left the States the last time - it wasn't pretty.
I was living in Russia then, moved to the states in 1990 after living in Italy for 6 months. So I was not here to see what happened, but I'm sure that there have been considerable market changes since then. There are soccer mom's driving Hummers today. Plus, back then there were issues of reliability which are not as much of an issue anymore. And the dealer network could be much stronger because of the GM association. Botom line is I wish they would work their kinks out and bring Alfa back to the states so I could drive around in a metallic blue 156 GTA.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that Alfa left in 1995 because they sold like 150 vehicles that year or some other scary number like that :nervous:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well the Alfas and the Peugots are great looking cars for the most part, but in terms of performance, I think the europeans (not including the brits) are generally pretty far behind in termns of offering AFFORDABLE hi-po cars. Auto taxes are also pretty outrageous imo.

Generally speaking, I'm pretty happy with the cars we get in the US. Even if Alfa and all the euro brands were avail in the US, I would still personally take cars like the USDM STi, EVO, Elise, or used cars like a FD/FC RX-7, S13 240sx, NA Miata, EG Civic, AE86 Corrolla, 323 GTX, etc. Now if you're talking about the cars you get in Japan, then that might be slightly different. :D

What I do absolutely love about most european countries, are the roads, and drivers. You could have an absolute blast driving on some of the better windy roads in Italy (where you almost never get pulled over), and Germany with even an average rental car. Many, if not most drivers there are also got skills and generally courteous. I love driving in Europe. In the US, seems like the only time I get to enjoy driving is on the canyon roads late at night, or on the track. Driving here, or at least in overpopulated Los Angeles, is pretty much a bore even if you have a fun car.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What I don't understand is why GM does not cross-market Opel in the states? Maybe replace some of those lame Pontiacs .... I know that they have tried in the past (Pontiac LeMans) and currently the Catera is a fancy Omega, (my 95 Saab had a 2.5l V6 build by GM for the Omega) but I truly believe that they could bring over many more affordable quality cars and do away with monstrosity such as the Grand Am.

Alex

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chucchinchilla said:
For those who can't wait until 2007-8 when the Peugeot's and the Alfa's come to the US, go to Mexico and buy one. They are both fully established with dealerships near the border. I know people who do, and living in dallas, I see mexican cars up here all the time (for mexican market.. vw pointers, opel vectra's, corsa's, etc)

http://www.peugeot.com.mx
http://www.alfaromeo.com.mx
They do not offer the V6's, the coolest thing about the 156 is the GTA trim.

·
Registered
230 Posts
personally don't know much about the Alpha (looks nice). but as a big fan of Peugeot i've gotta say that the 406 Coupé is amazing. second Peugeot in the garage and no regrets what so ever!!

final detailing before delivery

her first day in a new home

·
Registered
47 Posts
@ronaldmcdonald

... I think the europeans (not including the brits) are generally pretty
far behind in termns of offering AFFORDABLE hi-po cars.

First of all: The brits are NO EUROPEANS. They don't have the Euro, the
drive on the wrong side, they have another time-zone, they don't go with
european "main-stream" politics .... in short terms: Everything, that is
decided in Europe, the Brits are AGAINST it. So how could they be
Europeans ? For us they're just offshored US-citizens.

Second: The brits don't own an SINGLE relevant car-maker any more.
Amongst the world's leading car-manufacturers, the brits are absolut IRRELEVANT !

...etc. Now if you're talking about the cars you get in Japan, then that
might be slightly different. :D

Our Japanese friends are building good cars, no question. But they all
miss one thing: emotion, class, prestige, history ....
A german or an italian high-performance car is a piece of art, it has
a "soul". A japanese car is just a reliable machine, that drives.

Many, if not most drivers there are also got skills and generally
courteous. I love driving in Europe.

Thanks.
That happens, when you force every driver to get a driving-education of
approx. 2-3 month worth about $2000 before letting him go on
the "Autobahn". Despite the fact, that we (in GER) have absolutely NO
SPEED LIMIT on most parts of the Autobahn, we've got the smallest
amount of heavy accidents in the whole European Union.

greets from Germany

mfg,
der KolbenFresser

1 - 14 of 14 Posts