Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I noticed that there's this plastic piece...

...that leads to some plastic ducting...

...which goes down...

...to what? Intercooler? Airbox? I don't have the tools (anymore :cry: ) to go down any further. Notice in the first picture, that it looks like the vertical portion of the plastic piece is supposed to have a vent in it, but all of the square "holes" are filled in. Any reason why this isn't vented to force more air towards whatever this leads too?

Abe

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Abe,

For your car, this is purely cosmetic. What this usually is that those holes are open and allow air to flow from the front grille directly into the airbox. Since the holes are covered, you have the option of drilling them out, or buying a badgeless grille that has those holes open. But normally, that duct work runs directly into the airbox.

And, from previous threads, the holes are filled due to a running change back in 2002.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Scuba2001!

Thanks for the info! I have no problem drilling them out (would rather not buy a different grill as I would like to keep the "stock" look of the car), but I have to ask, why were they filled in? Were there problems identified in the design which allowed water or other particulate matter to enter this vent and go into the airbox? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that they would get rid of this extra breathing capabiliity without a good reason. Are there any other "changes" like this with the B5.5's (or later) which could potentially help out with getting a large volume of cool air into the motor?

Thanks again for the info!

Abe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greetings all!

Can anyone snap a couple of quick pictures of their car and show me what this looks like on a pre-2002 B5? I would like to compare to see if there's anything else I'm going to need to change with this system to "get it working" as it should.

Abe

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
And, from previous threads, the holes are filled due to a running change back in 2002.
What was this change? Don't have stock grill on anymore but am still interested in what you are refering to. Was it changed from the first .5's or from the B5's ?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey AlexNYC!

Not sure how I change the air filter quite yet... this is the first time I've really poked around the car, and I spent most of that time trying to figure out where and what this mystery "thing" did. :)

Abe

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I have a 2001.5 b5.5 and my holes are open. I have no idea why they closed the holes and then left the remaining ductwork in place. I assume there is another airintake at the bottom of the box that replaced it. The hood covers up most of that top vent anyways, so maybe it just wasn't very effective, but you would think they would have just removed the whole duct.

That ducting just pulls straight off the top of the airbox, and you need to remove those three screws and you can remove all that duct work.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I have seen a few posts on this subject .. now I am curious why the running change to fill the holes in. Usually there is a reason for change.

Here is a question for the "with" and "without" holes owners. Does your ducting have a snow/slush screen?

My 03 V6 has open holes & and a screen.

Maybe they closed them off because snow/slush / bugs / junk was a problem. Dunno just guessing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Jesstzn!

Can you snap a few pictures of your grill as well as the snow/slush screen? The only guess I have as to why they would have changed this is just what you mentioned - they had a problem with debris getting into the airbox and stopping things up. When poking around in the forums a few days ago while I was looking for cooling information, I ran across a post in which the author commented on how there was a large volume of dead bugs in his airbox when he went in to clean his K&N air filter. Maybe our suspicious are correct...

Abe

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Abe I run a K&N in mine too in the spring/fall seasons and I pull the snow screen during that time. I *do* clean the air box often and find bugs and crap down there. There is a mechanism down in the bottom of the airbox the crud could mess up and a drain there that it could plug.

I have no pix of the snow screen but here is the best pix I have of the air intake holes.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have a 2002, I have holes on mine. I also have a snow screen but I removed it after I installed my K&N

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Jesstzn!

Thanks for the pic! Nice work on the engine compartment, BTW - looks great! So is that vent on top of the grill the factory piece, or did you replace it with a piece that came with your aftermarket badgeless grill? Is the snow screen you're talking about located at the airbox end or grill end of the plastic ducting? Do you know what this "mechanism" and "drain" are for at the bottom of the airbox? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm going to take all of this apart over the weekend and make the necissary changes, and I want to make sure I know what's what.

Need to get that Bently manual on the way. Thanks again for the help!

Abe

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 2002 and it came with the holes covered. I Dremeled the holes out and put in a K&N. Afterwards I felt like it make a difference. As far as debris it may let in a little more trash, but nothing that my prefilter is not going to catch. I just clean the pre filter with a vacuum whenever I start to see anything in that could obstruct air.

My computer is down at home right now but if I get it up I pill post a couple pics of the cut out. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
23 Participants
tazmo
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing