Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The symbol is the one underneath the ABS
this aint my actual dash but the symbol is the same one so, what does this mean ??

·
Registered
27,573 Posts
That should be the ASR on your car. Did you spin the front tire?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, it flashes if you spin your tires with ASR on, meaning your traction control is kicking in. Or if you hit your ASR button (if you have one) it stays on meaning your traction control is turned off.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
The symbol is the one underneath the ABS
this aint my actual dash but the symbol is the same one so, what does this mean ??
It means you are driving in my car. :p :lol:

Actually it is as everyone else said. Either you are driving in a manner that has made the Anti Slip Regulation (or ASR for short) come on, or you have pushed the button on the dash to turn it off. Personally, I like it off. However if I get too liberal with the throttle in first gear, it really makes the tires squeal

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
Good to leave it on for 9 months of the year if you live in Canada
I don't know, I always left it off regardless of the weather. It is my opinion that the ASR is more of a handicap than an aid. It is definetly impossible to drive in the snow, with ASR on, the only time I can see it as a benefit is in the rain. Even then, I have my reservations about the system.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I guess I leave it on cause of the one time it saved my ass. Turning left from a T sideroad onto a freeway I accelerated as the freeway traffic was approaching quickly. Not knowing the freeway was covered with black ice, I would have slid straight across the freeway into the ditch but the ASR slowed my acceleration and I was able to "barely" make the left turn.

I think it may be a benefit for drivers that tend to accelerate slowly (myself) and for drivers that are afraid of poor weather conditions (read bad drivers). I can see how it would be annoying, if not dangerous, for drivers that tend to accelerate quicker (yourself?) as the engine would be continually starving for fuel in icy/snowy conditions and will even stall at times if the gas pedal is not eased off in time. Also, the worse condition the tire treads are in, the more exagerated this would be.

Do you agree?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
the engine would be continually starving for fuel in icy/snowy conditions and will even stall at times if the gas pedal is not eased off in time.
The ASR doesn't work by cutting fuel delivery. The ASR backs off on the throttle. This is done through the Drive By Wire system where the accelerator pedal is merely another sensor. The pedal "requests" torque and the DBW system has actual control of the throttle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I assumed that since the engine will actually stall, the fuel was either being cut off or flooding. Can you explain how the engine can stall if the ASR is simply backing off on the throttle? Is it an electronic shut down perhaps?

(Sorry for totally hijacking your thread Bacano4u)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, it flashes if you spin your tires with ASR on, meaning your traction control is kicking in. Or if you hit your ASR button (if you have one) it stays on meaning your traction control is turned off.
you mean to tell me that if i hit the button and the lights turns on i'm turning the traction control off and not on

just remembered ASR was on B5's, is this anything like the ESP button on my b5.5

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
if I hit the button and the light turns on, I'm turning the traction control off and not on?
Exactly.

The ASR is ON by default anytime you start the car. That button provides means to shut it off. The dash light will stay lit as a reminder that it's been shut off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
ASR shouldn't stall the engine. If yours is stalling when the ASR kicks in, there's a problem somewhere.
It stalls when you're stuck in a snow rut and are trying to rock the car out by changing gears from reverse to drive to reverse to drive with manual tranny. But with ASR off it doesn't stall. I've had this experience with 2 different 5spd Passats so I doubt they both had something wrong with them.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
It stalls when you're stuck in a snow rut and are trying to rock the car out by changing gears from reverse to drive to reverse to drive with manual tranny.
You probably want it switched OFF for that particular situation. Check the owners manual to see if it recommends shutting it off when trying to rock the car out of a snow rut.

The purpose of the system is to limit wheels spin when trying to accelerate in slippery conditions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts