Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIRST CONCEPT:

I was wondering the other day, the blue cap on the windshield washer tank is so hard to open & it gets in the way when you pour new stuff into the tank. So I figure you could refill it by wiring the pump to work in reverse and suck in new fluid from the sprayer nozzles on the hood.

Does anyone else think this is an excellent idea?

SECOND CONCEPT:

The coolant tanks on our B5's are often fragile, so when you need to do a flush and fill, all the new 50/50 mixture should be added at the heater hose connection, because it's the highest point in the system so that's the best place to add fluid and prevent air pockets. I just need a funnel that has a OD not bigger than 3mm. I think this idea should be crowd funded, it's that good!

I'm so glad I shared this will all my friends here at PW! Thanks again! remember to reply !

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Now if you invent some equipment for these purposes, you are a rich man. (Seriously)
I am still working on my dipstick fill machine. (Sarcasm)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't care for the gas filler being on the opposite side of the driver. I gotta walk all the way around and it's really annoying. What if I could stick a garden hose down into the tank and run the hose around the back to a funnel? Maybe right under the driver's door so I don't have to get outta the car to fill up.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I don't care for the gas filler being on the opposite side of the driver. I gotta walk all the way around and it's really annoying. What if I could stick a garden hose down into the tank and run the hose around the back to a funnel? Maybe right under the driver's door so I don't have to get outta the car to fill up.
Sounds good but you could have some problem with the EVAP system.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Couple or three block valves and a quick way (invert polarity comes to mind first but the OE washer fluid pump isn't likely designed to run backwards) to change voltage polarity on washer pump terminals would work.

I ain't steppin' up to the line of doing anything to a marginally designed (cough plastic coolant flanges on all VW cylinder heads since mid-way through PL/9A 16V production in 1989/1990 cough) cooling system. Already too many weak spots to create any more (what type of [ex$pensive] valve will you use to hold ~25-30psi of a mild penetrant at 260F max-which is how the G12, G13 series of heat transfer fluids should be treated [#Dowtherm experience for those that know] ;) ). I'll accept the high point bleed as it came from the factory.

Adding washer fluid to the tank requires a steady hand (all while holding the plastic lid back :/), I'll give you that.

:beer:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Do it the VW way, have a 35 part "system" made of plastic, that will be a 0.00005% improvement over the existing system. :D
and that "triggers" 10 to 20 codes, sometimes it seems like the (joking) only thing that does not EVER fail is the "CEL" lamp......and I guess that is a good thing

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
keep these stellar ideas for VW improvement coming! who has any idea as to what disgruntled German Space Program Scientist designed the glove box light assembly?

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
You could plumb the coolant into the windshield washer system and never have to flush it out. Just top it off from time to time. It would also prevent snow buildup on the windshield and quiet down squeaky wipers.

To clear ice/snow from a cold car, plumb an extra fuel line into the washer system with an extra spark plug! Instant snow/ice melt, no more carsicle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You could plumb the coolant into the windshield washer system and never have to flush it out. Just top it off from time to time. It would also prevent snow buildup on the windshield and quiet down squeaky wipers.

To clear ice/snow from a cold car, plumb an extra fuel line into the washer system with an extra spark plug! Instant snow/ice melt, no more carsicle.
PZ, that's the best advice you gave off your 24k+ posts:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Couple or three block valves and a quick way (invert polarity comes to mind first but the OE washer fluid pump isn't likely designed to run backwards) to change voltage polarity on washer pump terminals would work.
On the wagon/variant the washer pump runs backwards to wash the rear window.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts