Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's time to do a road test on my car. In 3 years I put 11.000 miles on my car. Finally I decided to drive my car to Canada. I just replaced

Oil,
Did radiator flush,
2 new axles,
new bearings,
new brakes,
New Denso spark plugs,

Any suggestion or recomendion before I go on a trip? Also ,right now I have 39500 miles and I have 2000 b5 1.8T 5spd.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I have done it twice, Seattle Washington to Cincinnatti Ohio, 4874 miles round trip ( not including the run around :roll: ) and you have done more then i did :oops: . I changed the oil before i left, when i got there, and when i came back, did do a radiator flush upon each return, brakes where just at my 40.000 miles check (second trip) as well as the plugs. I did change my air filter before each trip (now K&N, much better) .I put the mask on it to avoid any chip in the paint. I only put it on for long trips.

I think you have it ready for your trip. What Boris said is good prevention, just in case. Good luck and enjoy the trip, we do expect pictures so :wink: :thumbup:

·
Registered
166 Posts
RAH said:
I have done it twice, Seattle Washington to Cincinnatti Ohio, 4874 miles round trip ( not including the run around :roll: ) and you have done more then i did :oops: . I changed the oil before i left, when i got there, and when i came back, did do a radiator flush upon each return, brakes where just at my 40.000 miles check (second trip) as well as the plugs. I did change my air filter before each trip (now K&N, much better) .I put the mask on it to avoid any chip in the paint. I only put it on for long trips.

Surely a bit OTT (over the top) on the oil changes and rad flushing ?

I have done on avearge about 4000 miles a month quite regularly in my Passat and previously my A6, often covering 600+ miles some days.
Nothing more than regular servicing though.

Good advice though to take oil and water with you and check regularly.
I would also carry spare alternator drive belt and bulbs + a list of VW agent tel numbers on the route !

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
Replace the vacuum hoses,change the oil with sythetic. With 57K,I have yet to add oil between changes. Even with a 6600 mile trip last year. I only drive 100-200 miles a week at home,but have put 25,000 miles on in the last year. Lots of 3-4K trips.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
turbochargedb5 said:
I think it's time to do a road test on my car. In 3 years I put 11.000 miles on my car. Finally I decided to drive my car to Canada. I just replaced

Oil,
Did radiator flush,
2 new axles,
new bearings,
new brakes,
New Denso spark plugs,

Any suggestion or recomendion before I go on a trip? Also ,right now I have 39500 miles and I have 2000 b5 1.8T 5spd.
I didn't see an air filter mentioned, so I'd consider it, if it hasn't been done. Clean out the pre-screen while you're in there. Top of the washer fluid to deal thw the bugs. I'd say you're go to go! Enjoy and post a story when you get back!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much everyone for your advice, I totally forgot about Air filter. I will do it in a couple days. I will definatly grab 1 quater of oil. But why water? Instead of water I purchased 1 gallon of Pink G2 antifreeze.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Actually when on long trips at reasonable speeds (65 - 85 MpH) the oil deterioration is as not as severe as when driving in normal city pattern. When you drive 4K miles on highway you have a lot fewer start ups and heat cycles, and the engine is most of the time running between 2500 - 4000 RpM's so the temps are kept a lot lower since you have low RpM's and good airflow. So you can actually go substantially beyond the 5K interval. Just FYI.

Same goes for the coolant. You really do not need radiator flush at all until you are beyond 100K miles. Then is just a matter of maintenance.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do you folks xray the wheels too? That's what people used to do in the old days.

4k is nothing special, long distances at steady speeds don't impose special stress on the car. What a drama. Change the oil if it's time, check the tires and fluids, pack, leave.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Taking coolant mix instead of water is good idea for general topping up which you shouldn't need. If you get a leak your probably going to have to semi drain system and refill anyway after repair. Water is a lot cheaper and will help get you to a garage for further help.

Also take drinks, snacks, a good woman and enjoy the trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.