Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta say I haven't noticed any meaningful improvement -- maybe my engine is spotless inside and I'm just paranoid, I dunno.

Then again, I didn't notice an improvement from changing the oxygen sensor until a few days later, so maybe I need to wait until it's hot and I'm stuck in traffic before I decide whether the Seafoaming accomplished anything.

All I can say at this point is...if you're going to do it, do it on a windy day! The windier the better -- a gale is about perfect for this piece of maintenance. The neighbors would not have been happy with me if I'd had a giant blue cloud floating in the middle of the street, and I can't say I would have liked to have had the opportunity to breathe that stuff.

If anyone's interested, I used the method described on AudiWorld to suck the stuff into a t-shaped hose that connects to both of the little vacuum nipples on the intake manifold. And I do have one suggestion when preparing the vacuum hose that you're going to use to suck in the Seafoam -- cut the open end of the vacuum hose at a 45-degree angle, instead of cutting it straight across, so you have more control over how fast the Seafoam gets sucked in.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You won't really notice any improvement with a seafoam or AutoRx treatment except a peace of mind knowing that your fighting oil sludge! :thumbup:

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, oil cleaners in a sludged engine will result in a drop in pressure at the oil pump due to blockages being relieved, so there IS something to notice if you have a sludge problem and you try to deal with it. As for this Seafoam stuff, I guess I'll notice a difference in smoother combustion under distressing circumstances, which for my car at least seems to be when it's sitting in traffic on a hot day. Maybe this will improve the rough idle I get when the engine bay is really, really hot and the engine parts don't fit as well as they should.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I Seafoamed my engine on Thursday. I noticed more response when passing. Not so much taking off. Gas mileage is about the same. I will do it again in a couple of months. I drive a lot in crrappy traffic, so this little maintenance trick should go a long way.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You won't really notice any improvement with a seafoam or AutoRx treatment except a peace of mind knowing that your fighting oil sludge! :thumbup:
He did not put Seafoam in his oil. He sucked it in the intake manifold for fighting carbon build up.

I too did not notice a significant improvement after seafoaming. Many people have complained about huge bellowing clouds. Mine just wasn't that bad. I let it soak for a while too.

-Mark

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He did not put Seafoam in his oil. He sucked it in the intake manifold for fighting carbon build up.

I too did not notice a significant improvement after seafoaming. Many people have complained about huge bellowing clouds. Mine just wasn't that bad. I let it soak for a while too.

-Mark
The smoke comes from the penetrating oil in the Seafoam getting burned. There's no avoiding it. Maybe you didn't use very much?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Seafoamed my engine on Thursday. I noticed more response when passing. Not so much taking off. Gas mileage is about the same. I will do it again in a couple of months. I drive a lot in crrappy traffic, so this little maintenance trick should go a long way.
Please don't use it that often. You'd have to be getting bad leakdown through the valve seals, or have bad piston rings, for your engine to get that crapped up that it would benefit from another treatment in a couple of months. I know they recommend you use the stuff every oil change, but looking at the cloud of smoke it makes, think about how long you'll have to drive before your car will get badly-tuned enough that it will make more pollution than the Seafoam created. Imagine if EVERYBODY used the stuff every time they changed their oil. You'd step outside to get the newspaper and you'd have cancer by the time you got back to the door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts