Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Loaners and rental cars sure are fine. Let this be a reminder why you should never buy one of those cars for personal use.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Loaners and rental cars sure are fine. Let this be a reminder why you should never buy one of those cars for personal use.
I was a fleet manager for the old Premier Car Rental co before they were bought out by Budget. I sold plenty of rentals to individuals, some were low mileage that were in great shape others were dogs. Most cars we turned over at 20-25K but most of the subcompacts we kept for 50-60K. We bought most cars direct from GM and Ford but some were retired rentals from Hertz. Most people assumed they were maintained properly because they are rentals, most were but some were always neglected. I had a few Ford Espires (expires), Chevy Corsica/Berretta and Buick Skylarks that went 8K betwen LOF's and were never dealer maintained unless something broke. The only thing we were sticklers about were tires, brakes, alignments and inspections. Maint. wasn't my responsibility it was up to the individual office manager to maintain the cars properly and send me the paperwork. I just tracked cars from store to store, bought, sold, and made sure that the tags, titles, etc were kept up to date for a regional fleet of about 1K cars and trucks. My demo was always a Grand Am (a diff one every 3 months) and I took care of it.

When I see an add for a "program car" I cringe, its either a manuf buy back, fleet rental, or a corp car. I would buy from a dealers rental fleet but only if it was high end ie Lexus, Audi, BMW etc because they will sell those as certified and the chances of them being abused are slimmer. I'm sure VW dealers do the same. And the cars sold thru Enterprise are actually well taken care of.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
I rented a B6 from Enterprise one day, practically every warning light was lit on the dash, there was nothing wrong but it needed to go back to the dealer for reset and they needed to rent it (way short on cars). I doubt that car has EVER seen premium gas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts