Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ummm so... Is it possible for the CEL to just give out and not turn on? Either that or my car just fixed its own SAIP problem.... Should I worry?

The code was P0411.. I'll get it read tomorrow to see if it is there still

ImageUploadedByAG Free1393117076.381334.jpg

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
To check the CEL light (and all the other warning lights), put the key in the ignition and switch it on. All the warning lights should come on for a brief time so that you know they are working.

Sometimes the computer will turn off the CEL if it hasn't seen the trouble re-occur for a number of drive-cycles.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Based upon who the OP is, I'm going to say "user error" is to blame.

:p

In all seriousness, PCV/SAIP CEL's come and go, you don't really know which is to blame until you investigate. One thing is for certain, the car definitely has not "fixed" itself. :wrench:

·
Registered
30 Posts
This thread made me laugh because I've periodically wondered the same thing. Had my car for about 18 months with no CELs - so I make sure to pay attention when starting to be sure the light is working.

(Knocking lots of wood here...)

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang. Well I hope it just doesn't come on again. Cluster lit up fine so not worried. This is however the first time it went off on it's own. It's been on for that code since October? I don't recall when I made my SAIP thread.

One question that will make you all cringe and hate me. The car never came with a belly pan when we bought it last year in April. After this winter, I'm pretty sure I could find salt crystals on the undercarriage of the car. Is it safe for an underbody wash?

^feel free to flame for no belly pan, being a horrible human being, etc.

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
I never had a belly pan on my B5 - ripped it off my first winter.

Though having one is obviously preferred for many reasons, you'll live without one. Yes washing the car is fine.

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never had a belly pan on my B5 - ripped it off my first winter.

Though having one is obviously preferred for many reasons, you'll live without one. Yes washing the car is fine.
Excellent. I didn't want something to get sprayed and cause problems while getting an underbody wash

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
One question that will make you all cringe and hate me. The car never came with a belly pan when we bought it last year in April. After this winter, I'm pretty sure I could find salt crystals on the undercarriage of the car. Is it safe for an underbody wash?

Consider the flame "taken as read." However, if your fender liners don't have holes in them already, get out there with zip ties and secure them. Without the edge of the belly pan to hold them, wind pushes the fender liners back into the tire, which wears holes in them. Here's what mine looked like:

RF_Liner.jpg

Note that in this case, the belly pan IS there, just the fasteners were missing.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Dang. Well I hope it just doesn't come on again. Cluster lit up fine so not worried. This is however the first time it went off on it's own. It's been on for that code since October? I don't recall when I made my SAIP thread.

You drove your car all winter in an area that uses salt and you are now wondering if it is OK to spray some water under the car? :lolwut: What do you think has been happening to your car for the past 6+ months?

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,607 Posts
Maybe he was concerned about a direct moderate pressure spray straight up into the engine compartment.....

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You drove your car all winter in an area that uses salt and you are now wondering if it is OK to spray some water under the car? :lolwut: What do you think has been happening to your car for the past 6+ months?
I do understand why you think this is a derpy question.

Maybe he was concerned about a direct moderate pressure spray straight up into the engine compartment.....
This. I already came to understand that there would be salty water hitting the underside of the car. I just wasn't sure whether the washer jets would soak my engine compartment.

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You'll be fine.
Alright thanks for the reassurances guys. Car will get proper detailing when the weather starts hitting some decent 40-50 degree temps but I'm going to stick to the big wash things to remove the gunk all over it (its been accumulating since January 3rd). I wish the local Lexus dealership would allow me to pay for them to run the passat through their wash but they won't :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts