Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pretty anal about disinfecting before and after every trip; my trunk is also a disaster. Not that my car's interior hasn't been slowing falling apart from being in the sun every day, parked outside 24/7, cracking, upholstery coming undone, steering wheel cracking, etc, but I'm pretty sure the different disinfectant chemicals are going to do a job on my various parts. I haven't even researched what's best to use, I'm just going to town with lysol and ispropyl alcohol, hand sanitizer, whatever I have on hand in the moment. I need some sort of fogger that I set and forget. :D

Just curious if others are equally anal about cleaning, and wondering what their interior will look like in a few months. Half the time I have a haze of lysol glued to my speedometer panel (from steering wheel overspray). lol. I can't be too careful since my immune system sucks.

I should look at the silver lining - it's a 20-year old car, so better to destroy this car than a new one.

Hope everyone on the forum is staying safe!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
LTNS .......Wipe down key fob,steering wheel and door handles after I am in,and obviously hands.......this is definitely some 'blanked" up times.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,562 Posts
I don't see any reason to disinfect the interior of the car unless there is a reason for it like someone with suspicious condition sits inside the car. Keeping hands cleaned is the most recommended.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see any reason to disinfect the interior of the car unless there is a reason for it like someone with suspicious condition sits inside the car. Keeping hands cleaned is the most recommended.
Seriously? If I touch something outside the car, with the virus, be it a surface, a product, etc, and then come into my car and touch any surface before using hand sanitizer, I've just set a trap. If you are absolutely meticulous, maybe you'll get lucky with your strategy. But, despite being as anal as I am, I'm constantly realizing I just made a touch contact mistake. It's so easy to do! So, the only solution, much like the household, is to cover all common touch surfaces with disinfectant.

Also, how exactly do you transport your groceries? Do you know the virus can last 24 hours on cardboard? Many many days on plastics? How many people touch those products before they make it into your hands? Delivery people, stocking people. It's even worse now with curbside pickup (more hands of grocery employees). The virus can last many weeks on other surfaces like stainless steel? Any item you put in your car, that hasn't been decontaminated, may have it on it - if you don't treat it that way, you are playing Russian roulette - and with my immune system, I can't risk that.

You know that first cruise ship that got the outbreak, the one they held off San Fran? They were inspecting the boat, and they found the virus (I believe it was still viable) 17 days AFTER all passengers had disembarked (at the military dock). That's insane.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I've got isopropyl alcohol by the 55 gallon drum at my disposal. Wherever my hands go, the alcohol goes. I figure the driver's door handle will have the paint rubbed off it shortly. :(
Just the other day, finally scored on a shipment of surgeons gloves and masks, been waiting for over 2 months for that stuff. Now whenever I step out of the car the gloves and mask go on.

My wife and I have developed a pretty good system. Neither one of goes to the store alone. We only go for what is absolutely needed. One of us is the designated cart pusher and only the cart pusher, not touching anything else. The other one touches only the groceries. Once to the car, the designated grocery handler loads the trunk and the other shoves the cart in the cart corral.
We even go so far as putting the credit card into a plastic bag after check out, when we get to the car we wipe the card with alcohol before it goes back into our pocket. The gloves and masks come off and get chucked into the parking lot garbage.

I know this is type of behavior is ridiculous, but I have severe hereditary asthma which I'm prone to lung infections and pneumonia. Just the thought of catching this virus scares the crap out of me.

Went to Sam's Club yesterday. What the hell is up with that?! Looked like it was Christmas shopping season. Everybody and their uncle and his two sisters were there. So many people there were no shopping carts left. The Sam's I go to has got about 20 check out lanes, every one of them was open and I still waited 45 minutes to check out.
No social distancing practices there. :oops:

If this virus doesn't make a come back 10 times worse than it already is I'll be utterly amazed.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,562 Posts
Seriously? If I touch something outside the car, with the virus, be it a surface, a product, etc, and then come into my car and touch any surface before using hand sanitizer, I've just set a trap.
In that case, the easiest, the fastest, the most economical and the least damaging practice is to sanitize your hands before entering your car. Carry a small pack of disinfectant wipes and use them.

For all other objects including the groceries you can disinfect them before using them.

These are the official guidelines I have been reading and doing and so far so good. But feel free to do whatever you think works the best for you. You asked for an opinion and you got one. The rest, I would say is simply "do-whatever-you-think-is-the-best-approach".

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got isopropyl alcohol by the 55 gallon drum at my disposal. Wherever my hands go, the alcohol goes. I figure the driver's door handle will have the paint rubbed off it shortly. :(
Just the other day, finally scored on a shipment of surgeons gloves and masks, been waiting for over 2 months for that stuff. Now whenever I step out of the car the gloves and mask go on.

My wife and I have developed a pretty good system. Neither one of goes to the store alone. We only go for what is absolutely needed. One of us is the designated cart pusher and only the cart pusher, not touching anything else. The other one touches only the groceries. Once to the car, the designated grocery handler loads the trunk and the other shoves the cart in the cart corral.
We even go so far as putting the credit card into a plastic bag after check out, when we get to the car we wipe the card with alcohol before it goes back into our pocket. The gloves and masks come off and get chucked into the parking lot garbage.

I know this is type of behavior is ridiculous, but I have severe hereditary asthma which I'm prone to lung infections and pneumonia. Just the thought of catching this virus scares the crap out of me.

Went to Sam's Club yesterday. What the hell is up with that?! Looked like it was Christmas shopping season. Everybody and their uncle and his two sisters were there. So many people there were no shopping carts left. The Sam's I go to has got about 20 check out lanes, every one of them was open and I still waited 45 minutes to check out.

If this virus doesn't make a come back 10 times worse than it already is I'll be utterly amazed.
The behavior is not ridiculous. It is necessary. Strict protocols and good communication with the wife is good! Round 2, 3, etc will be worse, much like the Spanish Flu. They are already seeing more contagious mutations.

So what were you saying about a 55 gallon drum of isopropyl, friend, buddy? Got an extra? ;)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, we normally shop at Sam's Club, mostly because it's much closer than Costco (we far prefer Costco). They have been the absolute WORST retailer in this mess. They won't do curbside except on Tue and Thu 7am-9am, even if your order has already been pre-picked!! I've talked to middle and upper management - they don't care. We are talking 60 seconds extra on top of the order fulfillment, to roll it out the door. All the stuff is already in the cart, or is put in from their pull refrigerators at the front, when you show up to pick up the order. They are total jerks, with a few angels mixed in. Don't even get me started. They have completely lost my business.

And, it's just like you said - inside the store, NO ONE is practicing any social distancing. Don't even get me started. The customers and the employees are effen clueless. I will not step foot into any of their stores. Absolute incompetence! I have little doubt they are one of many virus transmission centers.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Ha, funny you mention the curbside pick-up. We tried multiple times to do the Sam's online ordering and pick-up for later.
All it says when your order is complete, "all scheduling times are full for your request." WTF!! Really? I can't order online and pick it up three days from now? Such BS!

Or there's this. Man I hate retail stores. Whatever happened to customer service?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Man I hate retail stores. Whatever happened to customer service?
I'm willing to give some stores the benefit of the doubt but when it comes to the airline industry I have no sympathy. None. Nada. Period. To operate as they were before this unique period then spew a bunch of hype about social distancing, empty seats and also expect government bail out?!?

I read through an article earlier today about a doctor who had been helping on the east coast and was returning to California with a group of other medical workers. He posted a picture of the interior of the plane and all the seats I could see except for one were full.

With the industry gradually stopping or reducing services over time and charging the same or more, no sympathy.

·
Registered
26,987 Posts
We have always kept alcohol wipes in the car. Anytime we are out of the car, we clean our hands when we get back in. Always have, my wife is a germaphobe. She cleans all of the groceries with wipes when we take them out of the bags. The interior vinyl holds up fairly well to the cleaning, but leather will not and the wipes leave a film on the chromed and clear plastic. I don't bother cleaning the cloth, it's just going go pull away faster.
Personally, I am not worried about it and I may have already had it at Christmas after my surgery. I was raised as a free range kid and survived. I do have severe asthma, severe allergies and usually had bronchitis/infections every winter when we lived up north. The worst was whooping cough, about 10-15 years ago. That had my wife ready to cut a hole in my trachea so I could breath.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts