Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you know of anyone who has had a tb break,had valves contact pistons and not replaced the pistons?.....a mechanic just looked at my pistons and said they didnt need to come out and that the half quarter size dents didnt matter because the head wasnt cracked or broke in any way and that i should just clean the surface with a very very mild wire brush and put it back together....can there be any truth in this?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I personally would have an engine machine shop check them out for cracks on the underside of the piston.

Just because the top "looks" fine despite the dents doesn't mean they are up for the abuse of the combustion chamber.

-Cody :beer:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
FWIW, I think in addition to checking for cracks, you'll need to eliminate any sharp edges because these will form hot spots and contribute to pre-ignition. This could be bad, and especially in a high-compression engine like the 1.8T. I'm only speaking from second-hand anecdotes here...maybe one of the ClubB5 engine gurus can elaborate (or correct me) on this subject.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DaddyMatt said:
FWIW, I think in addition to checking for cracks, you'll need to eliminate any sharp edges because these will form hot spots and contribute to pre-ignition. This could be bad, and especially in a high-compression engine like the 1.8T. I'm only speaking from second-hand anecdotes here...maybe one of the ClubB5 engine gurus can elaborate (or correct me) on this subject.
i was told that same thing and i was also told to dremel down the edges and smooth it back out i did all that today....now i am just waiting on my ecs stuff (tb kit head gasket etc...)to see if i cant get it all back together this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.