Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Had the car at the dealer already for this. They told me it was just oil splattered over the engine components leaking down after they replaced two gaskets and changed the oil. They even kept the car overnight adding a dye to see if there was a leak. Returned the car to me saying it was nothing. ....There are still puddles of oil under the car. Could it still be leaking down from the outside of the engine even though it's been a month since they worked on it, or are they blowing smoke up my ass and I need to take my car back to them to run more tests? Shit, this sucks cause I have to take the chip out again to take it back to them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would take pictures of the oil slick, show them, and say "look, see the oil? Ya, that means my car is leaking! Can you fix? Eh? Can you fixy-oil-leaky?(in a baby talk voice). Ok, don't do that, you'd get your car back with banana peels for a head gasket......Seriously, yes I would take it back and tell them that the oil is still dripping. How many miles you got? I just hit 76k, and I started to notice oil from my valve cover gaskets, and then some of the hoses in front of the engine are caked in the oily dirt you always see on old chevy V8's, you know the stuff right?

Take it back....Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm only at 51K, but I got the car used. Iwas thinking since I got the dye in there already I'll just put some plastic under the car and bring them whatever I can get overnight. If they put a black light on it and it glows, that should point them in the right direction. Or so I would hope :nervous: .

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd hope so, Is your dealer pretty cool? Mine is pretty tuner friendly, I had homemade intake, ghetto-fab exhaust, and my interior was comp. stripped, so..........I think they knew that I had been to the track that weekend, and they still did everything under warranty! Good guys! Were are you located if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. And no, thats not a military base, at least its not now, back in the 1800's or something is was an outpost of some sort.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you went in paying that dealership to fix the leak and you still got one.. be sue to hold them to their word.

Are you sure you don't see any oil at all? Any general idea (other than under the car/engine). Rate at which it is being lost? What seals were replaced? What engine? Year?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 quarter size puddle after 2 hours. They replaced two gaskets, not sure which ones. The car is still under warranty, that's why I'm worred about them seeing that it's chipped. It's a 2000 GLS 1.8t 5spd.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
kezho said:
3 quarter size puddle after 2 hours. They replaced two gaskets, not sure which ones. The car is still under warranty, that's why I'm worred about them seeing that it's chipped. It's a 2000 GLS 1.8t 5spd.
If you are the second owner, then your powertrain warrenty is gone at 50k :roll:. Don't tell them that though :D

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taking it in on Wednesday. This is rediculous. Why should it take a qualified mechanic three times to see oil leaking from the engine. Last time they had the car for 2 days. In that time I usualy get a decent sized puddle. Are they blind? Do they like to torture me by constantly swapping chips to bring the car in? Do they enjoy giving me loaners for free so I can take my aggression out on a 2.Slow Jetta? Is the oil leak a dealer mistake or is my car just spouting leaks all over the place and I should sell it asap (not a chance)? :weirdo: :cry:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was the camshaft seal. They replaced it but the dealer still has the car due to a cracked timing belt cover :crazy: . How the F did that happen??? They are supposed to get the part today, while I'm driving in a shiny Beetle :nervous: :weirdo: , sh*t I feel like a :kiss: .

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great, now the head gasket is leaking too, they are keeping the car over weekend. Son of a B***H. That means I have to spend a weekend with the Beetle. I hate the way it looks, I hate the way it drives. :mad:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ya expect those seals to be replaced. But it will fix it. I just had cam seals replaced. Along with that they willmost likely be replacing the valve cover gasket. If they dont, I would ask why not.. cuase those seals shouldn't be reused once compressed.

And dont be mad.. be glad (like my garbage bag box says). Seriously though, you are driving a Beetle.. putting miles on a car that is not yours. You will get your car back and it will not burn oil. Calm down. :wink:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Obviously you never had to duck down at stoplights. And the vase in the dashboard :nervous: . I'm bout ready to start using it as a shot glass so the driving tis POS doesn't get to me. I drove my ex's Geo Metro 4 dr and it wasn't as embarassing.
P.S. I think they replaced the valve cover gasket when I brought my car in the first time 5 weeks ago. I've had the car there for oil leaks three times since then. At least before they gave me a Jetta to drive.
I just want my baby back :cry: !

·
Registered
400 Posts
i have the SAME PROBLEM everytime i change oil damn dealers tell me oh you got oil leaking well thanks capitan obvious yeah i dont know it has always been leaking after changes for a long time who knows?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the dealer calls today, the valve cover gasket was replaced and now they think there is another leak in the front. I'm thinking that the Wett chip gave my engine a workout. I'm hoping that it expedited problems which might have shown up later, after I was out of warranty. So I've come to terms with driving the Beetle and want them to keep my car as long as it takes to replace every damn seal and gasket under warranty. The Beetle actually is not that bad. It sits low and is fun to throw around the corners. As long as I duck down at red stop lights so as not to be seen by anyone cause I'm too 8) for a Beetle, 'll be alright.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts