Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a lot more driving lately. I have been adding a little antifreeze about every few months from a slow leak. Now it was only maybe a month since I last added it. It is probably a combination of more driving and the leak getting worse.

I will probably replace the radiator soon. I know I can get used, but is it worth it? radiator.com quoted anywhere from $99 to $359, for new, but I have to call to speak to someone for an exact quote :roll:

What should I expect to pay for the install? I plan on keeping my car a little longer then originally thought, otherwise I might of let it go.

Thanks

·
Registered
28,876 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep in mind that my car has 112k on it, so I am not surprised by all the little issues that have been slowly popping up.

I had the water pump replaced when the timing belt was done. B5Bel did it for me :bow:

I also had my mechanic verify it was leaking from the radiator. I am not going to tackle doing this myself. I would be too afraid I wouldn't get the car back together in time to drive it to work :nervous:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boris said:
Check the oil cooler (the square aluminum block to which oil filter attaches). It has tendency to crack and leak coolant.
I had my car on a lift not to long ago. While standing underneath facing the front, and looking at the right side, it was apparent that there was pink liquid around the radiator line. I assume that's a tell tale sign that is where the problem is :???:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BarrelMan17 said:
I paid $150 for a new radiator and had Bel install it(took him less than 30 mins)

PJ

oops, I have a 2001 1.8t w/ 55k miles...
Where did you get the radiator from?

I went to STS for an oil change this afternoon. I had them check the radiator to verify it was leaking. Apparently, the part that crimps over the base was leaking. I don't know another way to describe it, but it can't be fixed.

Just for fun, I asked for a quote from STS. $317 for the radiator (aftermarket) and 5 hrs of labor at aprox $75 an hr. Total was about $706. That's a lot of money :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.