Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning, entering the breezeway I was kinda getting on it.
1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd the engine/trans seemed to buck a bit. Quite a bit actually. :oops:
Gonna have to investigate that at lunch time. Yea.

• Sad
Reactions: KHedges

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, just grabbing onto the engine top side, I can wiggle it around more than what I consider acceptable.
Gonna have to crawl underneath and give it a closer look.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw - Christmas visit was too hectic. Couldn't make time for the meet up. Maybe next time.
Figured as much. Nothing like being on vacation to relax and no time to do anything.
I was pretty much the same way as soon as my mom rolled into town a couple days before Christmas. She had everything all planned with zero time to relax.
It's all good though.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh man, there's some pretty heavy clunking from underneath. Maybe a trans mount also. :eek:

• Sad
Reactions: KHedges

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yikes. Sorry to hear about that. I had a hard time finding the right trans mounts for my A6, lots of VIN splits. But they still seem available if you can figure out the right style.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally had a chance to investigate today. Low and behold front snub mount bushing is completely gone. :oops:
I've got a cache of them laying around somewhere, now I just gotta remember where I put them.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the car is now out of commission until further notice. I had to move the car yesterday and it sounded like the engine/trans was going to come through the floorboards. A very loud clunk from underneath, like what the hell was that kind of noise.

It's just as well I stop driving the car anyways, it's plagued with issues.

To name a few...
1) bad motor / trans mounts.
2) stuck open thermostat - never gets close to warming up, even after long drives.
3) sticking left rear caliper.
4) kaput a/c condenser fan - the electric fan behind radiator.
5) sunroof, windshield and back window leak water profusely.
6) broken windshield a couple of months ago - about a 6" long crack right in my line of sight.
7) 3 of the 4 windows are non-functional.
8) both drivers doors have non-functional door lock mechanisms.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Box of window regulators came today. :p
So now I can at least fix the windows. Still can't drive it but at least the windows will work.

Reactions: DeliveryValve

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ay caramba, all this just to get those 3 screws (red arrows) out so I could replace the snub mount bushing.
Last time I had the front end apart was 6 years ago for the engine swap. Guess I forgot how much was involved. Quite a bit more labor intensive than the B5.5 front end.
New snub mount is installed and everything is snug as a bug. Motor mounts and trans mounts still need to be changed sometime but they'll be good enough for now. No more engine clunking.

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle White Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was going to tackle the window regulators on the drivers side, but then realized I'd have to pull everything apart again to fix the malfunctioning door lock mechanisms.
So that project got postponed for a bit. Just going to have to avoid any fast food drive through orders for a bit longer. :p

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
I guess you forgot that you can shave down an allen wrench and get those 3 bolts out without service position.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess you forgot that you can shave down an allen wrench and get those 3 bolts out without service position.
I actually have a set of 'stubby' Allen wrenches, however I didn't feel like messing around with the a/c line clamp on the top of the snub mount bracket. Trying to hold or bend stuff to clear a wrench wasn't on the menu.

Reactions: KHedges and PZ
1 - 20 of 20 Posts