Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer yesterday to pick up my car and the GM called me into his office and offered me a job as a Finance Manager, I currently work for a Local Bank as a Branch Manager, but as you all know they dont pay very well. now on the dealership the guy gave me some numbers that seem pretty good and I dont know if he is telling the truth. I know the Hours are very long (mon-sat from 9-8). I guess my question is this. What do you all think, is it worth the long hours and no days off, for a larger paycheck and do you think the GM is telling the truth, is that position well paid?

Thanks, I would greatly appreciate your help (advice) on the matter

almtzc

·
Registered
402 Posts
It depends on your priorities in life. If you want to make more money and have less time for yourself, then go for it. If you have kids and/or a wife, then you should ask yourself what is more important. It would cost someone one heck of a lot of money to get me away from my kids.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A few questions that you should ask yourself:

"Would I have pursued/applied for a job like this had this offer not come along?"

"What future opportunities at my current employeer am I giving up?"

"If I take this position, what future opportunities can I expect?"

"What do I want to be doing ten years from now and will my current or potential job get me there?"

It really boils down to your professional and personal interests and what makes you happy. If really value your time away from work to focus on family, friends and/or hobbies, then the long hours may not suit you. If you are focused on the money aspect and you feel that the longer hours are worthy of your time, then it may be easier to justify.

You can also do a little math to weigh the offer. Divide the weekly salary by the number of hours you would work in an average week at each job to determine how much you are getting paid on an hourly basis. How large of a difference is there? Is it worth your while?

On a positive note, you would be promoting a brand that you personally believe in. That makes work a lot more enjoyable.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The HR turnover rate in stealership is pretty high. You should get the offer in writing and make sure it states your job responsibilities.

Long hours and high pay is a fair trade, but just make they are not trying to make you cook their book.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies

I still have not yet decided, you see at my current position I was up for promotion two months ago, but I was passed on to give it to another guy who was supposed to be fired two months ago because of his lack of professionalism and poor attitude but ended being a good a$$ kisser when the new boss arrived and he got the promotion. To say the least I am disapointed and that is why I am entertaining the idea to work for the dealer

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
get it in writing, then if you really want to get crazy. Get a lawyer to look over the contract and then prepare one for you to show the GM and see if he agrees with the terms. If this guy is offer you a job out of the blue, there is something he is not telling you. So if he wants to yank your chain, you can pull right back with your own demands if you take the job.

have a beer on me :beer:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
...Or you can check out my website and have TIME and MONEY! :D (just kidding)

I would definately get an offer in writing. You can always go through the hiring process and see what they have to offer, and decide not to take it if you want. I'd at least get all the info. I'd venture to guess thay pay pretty decent!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
SouperSport
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing