Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bunch of searches trying to find out if any of you have replaced valve stem seals and what steps I should take to replace mine. After some research, I have concluded that my morning startup (and sometimes afternoon) exhaust smoke is a result of oil leaking through the deteriorating stem seals.

My car is a '99 20v Turbo. If any of you have any links that you can send me, great. If any of you have done this yourselves, even better. Any recommendations on a trustworthy online parts dealer(s)?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Don't recall anyone doing valve guide seals here. How many miles? Valve guide seals seem unlikely... my first guess if I saw oil smoke out of a turbo engine would be the turbo gone...

The big clue for valve seals is smoke when you back off the throttle. The increased engine vacuum sucks oil past the seals.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have about 55K mi. The engine runs normal, but it's just when I start the car. For about 2-3 minutes, there is blue/grey smoke. Then it goes away. :???:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
If you want some more feedback on this, try re-titling it with something like "Help needed diagnosing oil smoke"

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
If it is there for 2-3 MINUTES, I'd be looking harder at the turbo than the stem seals.

Though, the stem seals are not out of the question, either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Sharky
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing