Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mirror adjustment knob broke off, so there is no way for me to move them.......

Today I went to VW and purchased a replacement knob assembly for my adjustable mirrors. It's a small piece and it has a female harness end on it. When I asked the parts jockey how he recommends replaceing it, he mentioned taking off the door panel. Otherwise, I could scratch the plastic around the switch if I try to take it out from the outside :nervous:

I wanrt to avoid taking the door off if I can help it.

Has anyone replaced this part before? What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I changed mine, and I had to take the door off. Pop the trim off, and make sure you get all the screws and bolts out. Once your get the door off, unplug all wire harnesses, undo the door handle cable and make sure you see how it goes back on, and test it before putting the door back on. It is pretty easy. I used a small screwdriver and a towel to keep from scrathing my trim. One thing I encountered is that I broke quite a few of the snaps around the edge, I could not avoid this, so I would keep a few spare, just in case. Good luck

·
Registered
739 Posts
I didn't take the door panel off at all, I just used one of those tiny flathead screwdrivers (aka tweaker) and very carefully pryed it out and it came out very easily with no harm done to the panel at all. I took it out from the right hand side of the knob assembly. I was done in 5 minutes, the new one pops right in.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys :thumbup:

I would like to try it from the outside first. Looking at the part, there are a few notches that hold it in place. I might try to pop them out, but if it's seems too difficult, then I guess I need to remove the panel :nervous:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, I'll take off the door panel. I think I have the tools :???:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.