Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More specifically my Mom's Toyota Avalon...

I drove this car yesterday to refill her tires (with air :p) and noticed just how $hitty its brakes are. Now she doesn't drive crazy like me, but they still don't seem safe. They don't respond at all and the feel is horrible. She even noted that she had to change her driving with this car and has to brake a lot earlier than with her last Avalon. It worries me that she is driving a car with such bad brakes, but I don't know what a good fix is for this situation. Should I just change the pads to something softer and take it from there? Thank you for any help. I really appreciate it and so will my Mom.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
I notice Toyota brakes are kinda spongy. I felt it in my old Prism, my dad's Corolla, and my mom's Rav4.

Anyways, just to make sure, check the brake fluid level and make sure she has enough. Changing to softer pads may help too. Replacing the rubber brake lines with braided steel ones will definitely help.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
try throwing out an anchor. Seems to be what Toyotas latest Buick knockoff needs :p

Yeah, check the fluid, pull a wheel and check the pads. Maybe get it up to some speed and stand on them, to clean off any residue. Lack of driving can cause such build up.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. Thanks guys! I'll get on that stat! If the brake fluid is low do I take it in for service to take care of or is that DIY?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
sound like you have a prob with your front caliper sliders being seized and only 50% of the normal brake efficiantcy is being transmitted.
also check if your rotors are getting bellow minimum thickness, if that happens they cant absorb the heat and will fade under almost no friction coefficient :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmm... Sounds interesting. I'll keep that in mind for this weekend. Keep in mind the car only has some 4K miles on it. My mom doesn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
The Blue Blur said:
hmmmm... Sounds interesting. I'll keep that in mind for this weekend. Keep in mind the car only has some 4K miles on it. My mom doesn't go anywhere.
I would take it back to the dealership if it's only got 4k and it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I didn't realize the car was still under warranty.

Deffinetly take it in. The dealer should be able to fix what ever is the problem.

-Nick

·
Registered
402 Posts
Brake fluid sounds like a good starting place. Of course any of the Camry stuff will fit, like TRD, etc, and a good set of stainless steel lines will remove some of the slop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
x
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing