·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my car in for service for the following reasons:

Headlamps were out
Brake light repeatedly came on
CEL light came on and stayed on for about 2 weeks

I have a 2003 Passat with 31,000 miles. The dealer said they wanted to hook the car up immediately and see if there actually were any errors in the system. 30 minutes later they came back and said the headlights were normal, the car retested itself and says everything is cool with the CEL, and they topped off the brake fluid. I am concerned about the CEl light. Doesn't it keep a log? The dealer claimed no, so they have no idea why it came on it the first place.

As far as the headlights go, maybe it's just me. Can someone else confrim this? I wish I had my digital camera with me, but here it goes. When just the DRL are on, the two end bulbs are on, when the normal lights are turned on, only a small bulb in the inner fixture comes on (this is what I need to be confirmed), and when the brights are turned on, then the main bulb in the inner fixture lights up. If for the normal lights only that small bulb lights up, whats the point? It does not out power the DRl and thus helps the driver very little. Thanks for everyones help.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Your lights are normal .. on the 2003 the DRL are full power lows.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
The little bulbs you refer to are the city lights, the reason for them being there is so that if your head lights burn out or you lose the fuse to your headlights, the city lights are on a different 'circuit' and will remain lit to provide a level of safety in low-light conditions.

With a Euro-switch and DRLs disabled, with the engine cranked, this is what I get (2001.5).

Off - No lights at all.
Step 1 - DRLs and City Lights
Step 2 - Low Beams and City Lights

Without a Euro Switch... (IIRC)
Off - DRL and City Lights
Step 1 - Low Beams and City Lights

HTHs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help guys.

Any advice on the check engine light? Is it normal for it to go on, and then the dealer be unable to diagnosis it?

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
if it was something important . they would probably want to fix it and make $.(they get paid by VW to fix the car under warranty)
So it seems like they are being honest.

·
Registered
390 Posts
S_Klass said:
The little bulbs you refer to are the city lights, the reason for them being there is so that if your head lights burn out or you lose the fuse to your headlights, the city lights are on a different 'circuit' and will remain lit to provide a level of safety in low-light conditions.

With a Euro-switch and DRLs disabled, with the engine cranked, this is what I get (2001.5).

Off - No lights at all.
Step 1 - DRLs and City Lights
Step 2 - Low Beams and City Lights

Without a Euro Switch... (IIRC)
Off - DRL and City Lights
Step 1 - Low Beams and City Lights

HTHs!
hey thanks for that piece of info : I see the logic now.. thought they were retarded at first :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Mil
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing