Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a no crank, no turnover issue, my windows won't work, the keys won't lock the doors, the buttons pop back up. I found out that fuse 14 was blown. Changed it, the car started and worked tool it for a 25 minute run. Got home, switched off, tried to restart, same issue. Fuse 14 blown again. What is causing the fuse to keep blowing?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Fuse 14 powers the fuel door release and the CCM, plus several things controlled by the CCM, including the alarm relay (which must energize in order for you to crank the starter). Other loads I can think of include the dome and map lights and trunk release. (But not the door locks or windows; they have their own fuse and are controlled from the CCM via Canbus.)

The first thing to check is the makeup mirror--did you happen to use your sun visor during your drive? I'm 99% sure that light is fed from fuse 14, and the wire insulation inside the visor falls apart after too many years and can short out. The simplest solution is to remove the screw in the ceiling that holds the visor in place and unplug the connector. Your Homelink won't work, but the plastic cover is probably broken, anyway.

Beyond that, the most common cause for this malady is water. The CCM is located under left-hand seat (US driver's). The wiring harness runs under the carpet, and if it gets wet, it's not a happy situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed fuse 14 again and the car ran good whole morning. I switched off and restarted at least 5 times, drove and everything was ok. Well that was until I used the Key fob button to unlock the trunk, it opened, but when I went to restart the car, No crank, No start issue returned. Can the trunk lock mechanism cause Fuse 14 to blow?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I believe so. The trunk lid motor is powered from the CCM, and fuse 14 powers the CCM. There are a couple of other fuses the also go to the CCM, but I think fuse 14 provides trunk lid motor power--the schematic doesn't say, though.

Just use your key to open the trunk and see if the fuse stays good, I suppose...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.