Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my ecu for my 2001.5 passat in the mail from APR and i installed it in my car and my engine is now not starting!

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Please let me know ASAP!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Check your fuses, you could have accidently blown one during the install. Check that the install on the chip is correct (seated correctly in the box) and you will need to leave your key in the ignition for 5 seconds so your car can "recognize" the new program.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Check that 40 amp fuse next to the ECU. Also, be sure to disconnect your battery before attempting ANY electrial related issues with your car.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
therockshow182 said:
thanx all you guys for the help, and i'm definitely calling APR tomorrow first thing

Okay, funny noone asked yet...If you put your stock chip back in, does your engine turn then?

If so, looks like you got a bad chip from APR, either the solder is bad, or its not coded to your ECU!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Spanky McGee said:
therockshow182 said:
thanx all you guys for the help, and i'm definitely calling APR tomorrow first thing

Okay, funny noone asked yet...If you put your stock chip back in, does your engine turn then?

If so, looks like you got a bad chip from APR, either the solder is bad, or its not coded to your ECU!
well, if its soldered in, like APR probably would have done, then just simply swapping it out might not be as easy as it sounds. regaurdless, APR handled the ECU last

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
When you have the key turned to "run" but engine off during that ECU "learning" period, do you get a CEL?

If you don't get a CEL, then things will definitely not work as there is a communication breakdown somewhere (I got this when my APR chipped ECU had solder bridging several pins).

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
did you ever use this ECU in the car before having it chipped?

I think that there are some late model 2001.5's that have immobilizer 3. If so, ECU has to be recoded.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
So what ever happened. Did you ever talk to anybody over at APR. I've talked to a few of the guys over there. Thier customer support has been great for me.

Like jimbob said, if you bought a new ecu and swapped out your stock one with the new one, you have to use the VAG-COM to allow it to work with your vehicle. If you sent them your original ECU then this shouldn't apply. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts