Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my Altantor for high output, the altantor shop wants to change the pully on the altantor to a smaller pully to spin faster at IDLE.

They told me I need to change my Accessory Belt/Ribbed Belt 1/2 inch to 1 inch smaller, do they sell smaller Accessory Belt's? Where can I buy?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
NAPA, Autozone, and Checker would also be good local choices, although I find NAPA belts to be overpriced. The nice thing about local is that you can return/exchange it w/o hassle if you get the wrong size.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I tried all of them, most of them did not even have the stock one in stock, the others said no such thing, grrr, I guess I have to try ECS. Any other suggestions??

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
alex310 said:
Thanks guys, I tried all of them, most of them did not even have the stock one in stock, the others said no such thing, grrr, I guess I have to try ECS. Any other suggestions??
Well, either the counter guys are total idiots, or you are not asking the question the right way. Belts have a code for width, length, and type (i.e. 5-rib, 4-rib, v-belt, etc.). What you need to do is determine the code for the belt you want, and go in and ask for that code. I need to do a couple of things right now, but I can search through my old posts and figure out the codes and tell you what you need to ask for. Just give me an hour or two, I'll be back here sometime today.

Honest - ask for the right belt code, and even if they don't stock it they'll be able to order it for you.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Rusty is correct. Any auto shop will have the right belt. I ended up going to the local parts store with the OEM belt in hand to find one that fit. I eliminated the OEM engine driven fan on my car so I needed the shorter belt. NAPA counter guys may be looking it up under Passat. Just tell them you need to buy a shorter belt just like the OEM one.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
OK here's the info:

You want a 50xxx belt.
The "50" says it's a five-ribbed belt.
The xxx represents the belt length in inches with one decimal place, e.g. 485 would be 48.5 inches.
There may be some extra numbers as a prefix, but what's important is the last five numbers.
IIRC the OEM belt is a 50515. I use a 50495 or a 50500 (whichever is in stock) for my reduced-diameter ECS crank pulley. So the 50500 is 1.5" shorter than OEM (if i have the OEM size right).

I would try Checker/Kragen first. They sell Dayco "Top Cog" belts that really look good. NAPA's belts run a little expensive. But any of them would be OK.

Hope this helps! - Rusty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.